1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolute value removed from equation. Why?

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that [itex]\epsilon[/itex]> 0, why is it, that [itex]\left | x_{n} -L\right |< \epsilon [/itex] implicates that [itex] x_{n} > L-\epsilon [/itex] ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try some examples to get a feel for it.

Since you're dealing with absolute values, you could always use the usual technique for dealing with them: split into two cases depending on whether the argument is positive or negative.

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3
    Well if: l Xn-L l ≥0 then you can remove the the absolute value.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you can't. We have |-2| > 0; would you say that -2 > 0? Besides, for ANY real number r we always have |r| ≥ 0.

RGV

6. Mar 20, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember that an equation like ##|x_n-L|<\epsilon## can always be rewritten ##-\epsilon < x_n-L < \epsilon##. Add ##L## to all three sides and notice you are only using half of the result.

7. Mar 20, 2012 #6
    Yes, i thought of that at first, but it doesnt help in this case since [itex]x_{n}-L[/itex] can be either positive or negative at all points, or alternating, depending on what series [itex]x_{n}[/itex] is a part of. So based on that, i cant exclude one of the cases via the definition.

8. Mar 21, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x >= L then x > L-ε (ε>0). So, just look at the case where x < L (assuming |x-L| < ε).

RGV

9. Mar 21, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As I am sure you know, |x|= x if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex], and |x|= -x if x< 0. So if [itex]x_n- L< 0[/itex], then [itex]|x_n- L|= -(x_n- L)= L- x_n< \epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]-x_n< -L+ \epsilon[/itex] and, multiplying boty sides by -1, [itex]x_n> L- \epsilon[/itex]. Of course, if [itex]x_n- L\ge 0[/itex] then [itex]x_n\ge L[/itex] and, since [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], [itex]L> L- \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]x_n> L-\epsilon[/itex].

In either case, [itex]x_n> L- \epsilon[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. Mar 21, 2012 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter that xn comes from a series; the question you asked is one about the property of the number xn.

And besides, in a proof by cases you don't exclude a cases: you consider all of them. (in this case, only 2)

11. Mar 22, 2012 #10
    Yea that makes sense.

That also makes sense! And how creative too.

Your right, i was confused.

I guess the problem i had (besides being stupid of course) is that i got hung up on the results from the definition. They seemed to conflict and give 2 different cases, but that wasnt the case, wich i feel that HallsOfIvy showed me.

Thank you all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook