Absolute value removed from equation. Why?

In summary, the conversation discusses the implication that if the absolute value of x_n minus L is less than epsilon, then x_n is greater than L minus epsilon. This is proven using the properties of absolute values and considering both cases where x_n minus L is positive or negative. It is also emphasized that this proof applies to the property of the number x_n and is not affected by its origin in a series.
jens.w

Homework Statement

Given that [itex]\epsilon[/itex]> 0, why is it, that [itex]\left | x_{n} -L\right |< \epsilon [/itex] implicates that [itex] x_{n} > L-\epsilon [/itex] ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Try some examples to get a feel for it.

Since you're dealing with absolute values, you could always use the usual technique for dealing with them: split into two cases depending on whether the argument is positive or negative.

Well if: l Xn-L l ≥0 then you can remove the the absolute value.

mtayab1994 said:
Well if: l Xn-L l ≥0 then you can remove the the absolute value.

No, you can't. We have |-2| > 0; would you say that -2 > 0? Besides, for ANY real number r we always have |r| ≥ 0.

RGV

jens.w said:

Homework Statement

Given that [itex]\epsilon[/itex]> 0, why is it, that [itex]\left | x_{n} -L\right |< \epsilon [/itex] implicates that [itex] x_{n} > L-\epsilon [/itex] ?

Remember that an equation like ##|x_n-L|<\epsilon## can always be rewritten ##-\epsilon < x_n-L < \epsilon##. Add ##L## to all three sides and notice you are only using half of the result.

Hurkyl said:
Try some examples to get a feel for it.

Since you're dealing with absolute values, you could always use the usual technique for dealing with them: split into two cases depending on whether the argument is positive or negative.

Yes, i thought of that at first, but it doesn't help in this case since [itex]x_{n}-L[/itex] can be either positive or negative at all points, or alternating, depending on what series [itex]x_{n}[/itex] is a part of. So based on that, i can't exclude one of the cases via the definition.

jens.w said:
Yes, i thought of that at first, but it doesn't help in this case since [itex]x_{n}-L[/itex] can be either positive or negative at all points, or alternating, depending on what series [itex]x_{n}[/itex] is a part of. So based on that, i can't exclude one of the cases via the definition.

If x >= L then x > L-ε (ε>0). So, just look at the case where x < L (assuming |x-L| < ε).

RGV

jens.w said:

Homework Statement

As I am sure you know, |x|= x if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex], and |x|= -x if x< 0. So if [itex]x_n- L< 0[/itex], then [itex]|x_n- L|= -(x_n- L)= L- x_n< \epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]-x_n< -L+ \epsilon[/itex] and, multiplying boty sides by -1, [itex]x_n> L- \epsilon[/itex]. Of course, if [itex]x_n- L\ge 0[/itex] then [itex]x_n\ge L[/itex] and, since [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], [itex]L> L- \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]x_n> L-\epsilon[/itex].

In either case, [itex]x_n> L- \epsilon[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
jens.w said:
It doesn't matter that xn comes from a series; the question you asked is one about the property of the number xn.

And besides, in a proof by cases you don't exclude a cases: you consider all of them. (in this case, only 2)

Ray Vickson said:
If x >= L then x > L-ε (ε>0). So, just look at the case where x < L (assuming |x-L| < ε).

RGV

Yea that makes sense.

HallsofIvy said:
As I am sure you know, |x|= x if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex], and |x|= -x if x< 0. So if [itex]x_n- L< 0[/itex], then [itex]|x_n- L|= -(x_n- L)= L- x_n< \epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]-x_n< -L+ \epsilon[/itex] and, multiplying boty sides by -1, [itex]x_n> L- \epsilon[/itex]. Of course, if [itex]x_n- L\ge 0[/itex] then [itex]x_n\ge L[/itex] and, since [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], [itex]L> L- \epsilon[/itex] so [itex]x_n> L-\epsilon[/itex].

In either case, [itex]x_n> L- \epsilon[/itex].

That also makes sense! And how creative too.

Hurkyl said:
It doesn't matter that xn comes from a series; the question you asked is one about the property of the number xn.

And besides, in a proof by cases you don't exclude a cases: you consider all of them. (in this case, only 2)

Your right, i was confused.

I guess the problem i had (besides being stupid of course) is that i got hung up on the results from the definition. They seemed to conflict and give 2 different cases, but that wasnt the case, which i feel that HallsOfIvy showed me.

Thank you all.

1. Why is it necessary to remove absolute value from an equation?

Removing absolute value from an equation is necessary because it allows us to find all possible solutions to the equation. Absolute value represents the distance of a number from zero and can have two solutions, a positive and a negative value. By removing absolute value, we can solve for both solutions and get a complete understanding of the equation.

2. When do we need to remove absolute value from an equation?

We need to remove absolute value from an equation when it contains expressions inside the absolute value bars. This is because these expressions can have two solutions and we need to solve for both in order to fully understand the equation.

3. What are the steps for removing absolute value from an equation?

The steps for removing absolute value from an equation are: 1) Identify the expression inside the absolute value bars, 2) Create two equations, one with the expression as positive and one with the expression as negative, 3) Solve both equations for the variable, and 4) Check the solutions in the original equation to make sure they are valid.

4. Can removing absolute value change the solutions of an equation?

Yes, removing absolute value can change the solutions of an equation. This is because absolute value represents distance and can have two solutions, a positive and a negative value. Removing absolute value allows us to solve for both solutions, which may be different from the original solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of removing absolute value from equations?

Removing absolute value from equations has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, absolute value may represent the magnitude of a force or velocity and removing it allows us to determine the direction of the force or velocity. In economics, absolute value may represent the demand for a product and removing it allows us to find the optimal price that maximizes profit.