Absolute valuing both sides probably a big no-no in Math

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary, the given inequality is -6x+4y+10z≤1203 and 7y+15z≤1551 with x,y,z≥0. The goal is to find a K>0, if it exists, such that |x|≤K, |y|≤K, |z|≤K. After solving for the inequalities, it can be concluded that |x|≥0, |y|≤221.57, and |z|≤103.4. However, x is unbounded and cannot be given a specific value. Therefore, the values for y and z are correct, but x will need to be greater than (10
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Suppose you are given the following inequality

[tex]-6x+ 4y+ 10z \leq 1203[/tex]
[tex]7y + 15z \leq 1551[/tex]
[tex]x,y,z \geq 0[/tex]

Find a K > 0, if it exists, such that [tex]|x| \leq K[/tex], [tex]|y| \leq K[/tex], [tex]|z| \leq K[/tex]

Flyingpig's take on this

So I am just going find the max of each x,y,z

Let x = 0, y = 0

[tex]10z \leq 1203 \iff z \leq 120.3[/tex]
[tex] 15z \leq 1551 \iff z \leq 103.4[/tex]

So it makes sense to take [tex]z \leq 103.4[/tex] and that [tex]|z| \leq 103.4[/tex]

Let x = 0, z = 0

[tex]4y \leq 1203 \iff y \leq 300.75[/tex]
[tex]7y \leq 1551 \iff y \leq 221.57[/tex]

Take [tex]y \leq 221.57[/tex] and that [tex]|y| \leq 221.57[/tex]

Let y = 0, z = 0

[tex]-6x \leq 1203 \iff x \geq -200.5[/tex]
[tex]0 \leq 1551[/tex]

However [tex]x \geq 0[/tex], so [tex]|x| \geq 0[/tex]

Side Question - not part of this thread

Was [tex]0 \leq 1551[/tex] useless? Also I know I am wrong, but I need to someone to give me a formal reason why I couldn't [tex]|x| \leq |-200.5|[/tex] and it becomes that [tex]|x| \leq 200.5[/tex]

Side Question - ended, carry on with calculation below

So we have

[tex]|x| \geq 0[/tex]
[tex]|y| \leq 221.57[/tex]
[tex]|z| \leq 103.4[/tex]

Now what does [tex]|x| \geq 0[/tex] imply? Does it say that any [tex]K \geq 221.57[/tex] will satisfy the inequalities [tex]|x| \leq K[/tex], [tex]|y| \leq K[/tex], [tex]|z| \leq K[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Find a K > 0, if it exists, such that [tex]|x| \leq K[/tex], [tex]|y| \leq K[/tex], [tex]|z| \leq K[/tex]
Flyingpig said:
So we have

[tex]|x| \geq 0[/tex]
[tex]|y| \leq 221.57[/tex]
[tex]|z| \leq 103.4[/tex]

I'm no expert here. But I wonder are you supposed to give this as the correct answer:

|x|,|y|,|z| <= 103.4

Regarding the side question: I don't know if this qualifies as a "formal" reason why you can't do it, but it's pretty clear that you can't just take the absolute value of both sides of the inequality, because in general the inequality doesn't hold true after such an operation.

For example, if you have a > b where a = 3 and b = -4, then clearly it's not true that |a| > |b|, since 3 is not greater than 4.

I would say the values for y and z are correct, but when the maximum possible values for y and z are plugged into the first equation, then x will need to be greater than (10z+4y-1203)/6

NascentOxygen said:
I'm no expert here. But I wonder are you supposed to give this as the correct answer:

|x|,|y|,|z| <= 103.4

Well no, x is unbounded. Isn't that the goal? Because if I go with your reasoning, then every unbounded set could be bounded by one K. K bounds the set/region

the word "set" and 'region" are the same here

I can't say what the goal is. But the question reads as "Find a K that satisfies these conditions ..." and it is unusual to reuse a symbol for different constants. I read "find a K" as singular.

Whatever was intended, I'd suggest the person who worded the question in this way and failed to see there may be an ambiguity should donate $25 to a charity of his choice. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
I can't say what the goal is. But the question reads as "Find a K that satisfies these conditions ..." and it is unusual to reuse a symbol for different constants. I read "find a K" as singular.

Whatever was intended, I'd suggest the person who worded the question in this way and failed to see there may be an ambiguity should donate $25 to a charity of his choice. :smile:

Yeah I am sorry, this is part of another problem. I brought it into this context sorry. I originally had difficulty with solving for the inequalities

1. What is absolute valuing both sides in math?

Absolute valuing both sides in math is a process where you take the absolute value of both sides of an equation. This means you remove any negative signs from the numbers on both sides, essentially making all numbers positive.

2. Why is absolute valuing both sides considered a big no-no in math?

This is because it can lead to incorrect solutions to equations. Absolute valuing both sides can result in extraneous solutions, where the solution does not actually satisfy the original equation.

3. Are there any situations where absolute valuing both sides is acceptable?

Yes, there are certain cases where absolute valuing both sides may be necessary or helpful. This includes solving absolute value equations or inequalities, or simplifying expressions with absolute values.

4. Can absolute valuing both sides be used to solve any type of equation?

No, absolute valuing both sides is only applicable to equations involving absolute values. It cannot be used to solve other types of equations, such as polynomial equations or trigonometric equations.

5. How can I avoid making the mistake of absolute valuing both sides in math?

The best way to avoid this mistake is to carefully read and analyze the equation before attempting to solve it. If it does not involve absolute values, then absolute valuing both sides is not necessary. Additionally, always double check your solutions to make sure they satisfy the original equation.