Complex absolute value inequality

Start with the simple case of |z| + |z-3| < 4, which has an easy graphical solution.In summary, the inequality |z-1| + |z-5| < 4 represents a region in the complex plane where the sum of the distances from z to the points 1 and 5 is less than 4. This region can be visualized as a geometric shape, specifically a circle centered at (3,0) with a radius of 4. In the case of |z| + |z-3| < 4, the shape is a circle with a radius of 2 centered at (1.5,0).
Steve Turchin
Solve the following inequality. Represent your answer graphically:
## |z-1| + |z-5| < 4 ##

Homework Equations

## z = a + bi \\
|x+y| \leq |x| + |y| ## Triangle inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

## |z-1| + |z-5| < 4 \\
\\
x = z-1 \ \ , \ \ y = z-5 \\
\\
|z-1+z-5| \leq |z-1| + |z-5| \\
|2z-6| \leq |z-1| + |z-5| \lt 4 \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ |2z-6| \lt 4 \\
2z-6 \lt 4 \ \ , \ \ -(2z-6) \lt 4 \\
z \lt 5 \ \ , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ -2z + 6 \lt 4 \ \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \ -z \lt -2 \ \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \ z \gt 1 \\
z \lt 5 \ \cap \ z \gt 1 \ \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \ 1 \lt z \lt 5 \\
1 \lt a+bi \lt 5 \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \ 1 \lt a+bi \lt 5 \\
1 \lt a \lt 5 \ \ \ \ \ , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b = 0 \ \ \ \ for \ \ a,b \in \mathfrak R
##
I think this is basically the interval ## (1,5) ## on the Real axis.
I got this far, I doubt this is correct. Any tip on what a graphical representation of this would be?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve Turchin said:
Solve the following inequality. Represent your answer graphically:
## |z-1| + |z-5| < 4 ##

Homework Equations

## z = a + bi \\
|x+y| \leq |x| + |y| ## Triangle inequality

The Attempt at a Solution

## |z-1| + |z-5| < 4 \\
\\
x = z-1 \ \ , \ \ y = z-5 \\
I'm not sure how helpful the equations above are.
Steve Turchin said:
##|z-1+z-5| \leq |z-1| + |z-5| \\
|2z-6| \leq |z-1| + |z-5| \lt 4 \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ |2z-6| \lt 4 \\
2z-6 \lt 4 \ \ , \ \ -(2z-6) \lt 4 \\
z \lt 5 \ \ , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ -2z + 6 \lt 4 \ \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \ -z \lt -2 \ \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \ z \gt 1 \\
z \lt 5 \ \cap \ z \gt 1 \ \ \ \Leftrightarrow \ \ \ 1 \lt z \lt 5 \\
1 \lt a+bi \lt 5 \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ \ 1 \lt a+bi \lt 5 \\
1 \lt a \lt 5 \ \ \ \ \ , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ b = 0 \ \ \ \ for \ \ a,b \in \mathfrak R
##
I think this is basically the interval ## (1,5) ## on the Real axis.
I got this far, I doubt this is correct. Any tip on what a graphical representation of this would be?
The inequality represents all of the points z in the complex plane for which the distance from 1 + 0i to z, plus the distance from z to 5 + 0i is less than 4. Can such a point be above or below the real axis? Why or why not?

A couple of problems with your analysis.
Your use of the triangle inequality allows you to make a deduction, but it also loses information. As a result, the region you end up with could be only part of the possible region. Secondly, you switch from complex to real, imposing further unjustified constraints. That's why you end up with just a line.
You'll get a much better idea if you start with the graphical view. |z-a| is the distance from z to point a, so your given condition is the sum of the distances from z to two given points. Does that remind you of any geometrical shape?

1. What is a complex absolute value inequality?

A complex absolute value inequality is an inequality that involves the absolute value of a complex number. A complex number is a number that has both a real and imaginary part, and the absolute value of a complex number is its distance from the origin on the complex plane.

2. How do you solve a complex absolute value inequality?

To solve a complex absolute value inequality, you first need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you can rewrite the absolute value as a square root and apply the properties of square roots to eliminate the absolute value. Finally, you can solve the resulting inequality using algebraic methods.

3. What are the different types of solutions for a complex absolute value inequality?

There are two types of solutions for a complex absolute value inequality: real solutions and non-real solutions. Real solutions are values of the complex variable that satisfy the inequality and are located on the real number line. Non-real solutions are values of the complex variable that satisfy the inequality but are not located on the real number line.

4. Can a complex absolute value inequality have no solution?

Yes, a complex absolute value inequality can have no solution. This can occur when the absolute value expression is isolated and results in a contradiction, such as a negative number equaling a positive number. In this case, the inequality has no solution.

5. How is the graph of a complex absolute value inequality represented?

The graph of a complex absolute value inequality is represented on the complex plane. The solution set of the inequality is a region on the complex plane, and the boundary of this region is a curve that represents the absolute value expression. The inequality is satisfied by all points within the region and is not satisfied by any points outside of the region.