1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absolutely continuous functions and sets of measure 0.

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if f: [a,b] -> R is absolutely continuous, and E ∁ [a,b] has measure zero, then f(E) has measure zero.

2. Relevant equations

A function f: [a,b] -> R is absolutely continuous if for every ε > 0 there is an δ > 0 such that for every finite sequence {(xj,xj')} of nonoverlapping intervals in [a,b] with ∑|xj'-xj| < δ, ∑|f(xj')-f(xj)| < ε .

3. The attempt at a solution

I think that there is an alternative definition of absolute continuity using countable intervals instead of finite intervals, and if I knew that the set E was countable I think I could go from there...but I don't know that E is countable; I only know that it has measure zero. So I'm not really sure where to start.

Any help would be much appreciated : )

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    Well, if you can show that the measure of f(E) is less than any epsilon, you'll be done right? Fix an [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex]. Furthermore, you know that E has zero measure, so can you cover it with intervals in a way that allows you to exploit absolute continuity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook