1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra, finite A-module

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be an integral domain with field of fractions K, and suppose that [tex]f\in A[/tex] is non zero and not a unit. Prove that [tex]A[\frac{1}{f}][/tex] is not a finite A-module.
    [Hint: if it has a finite set of generators then prove that [tex]1,f^{-1},f^{-2},...,f^{-k}[/tex] is a set of generators for some [tex]k>0[/tex], so that [tex] f^{-(k+1)}[/tex] can be expressed as a linear combination of this. Use this to prove that f is a unit.

2. Relevant equations
    We assume that [itex]f\neq 0[/tex] and [tex] f\in A\setminus A^{*}[/tex] where I denote [tex]A^{*}[/tex] as the set of units
    [tex]A[\frac{1}{f}]=\{p(\frac{1}{f}); p(x)\in A[x]\}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Proof by contradiction
    suppose that [tex]A[\frac{1}{f}][/tex] is a finite module, that is [tex]A[\frac{1}{f}]=\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n}Ap_{i}[/tex] for [tex]p_{i}(x)\in A[x][/tex]
    Let [tex]k=max deg p_{i}(x)[/tex]
    [tex]A[\frac{1}{f}]=A\cdot 1+A\cdot f^{-1}+......+A\cdot f^{-k}[/tex]
    (how did we get this equations???)
    hence [tex]\exists a_{0},......,a_{k}\in A[/tex] (based on what there exists such elements??)
    s.t [tex]f^{-(k+1)}=a_{0}+a_{1}f^{-1}+...+a_{k}f^{-k}[/tex] which gives
    [tex]f^{-1}=a_{0}f^{k}+a_{1}f^{k-1}+....+a_{k}\in A[/tex] and we get [tex]f\in A^{*}[/tex] hence [tex]A[\frac{1}{f}][/tex] is infinite.
    Could someone explain me the second part of the proof and its conslusions?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2
    I got it after all :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook