Abstract Algebra - lifting up a factor group

In summary, the conversation is about using factor groups to show the existence of a larger group within G that is related to G/N, although it may not necessarily be an isomorphism. The process of finding this larger group is referred to as "lifting up" and involves using the isomorphism theorems.
nebbish
Abstract Algebra -- lifting up a factor group

After spending an extended period with my Professor during office hours I must admit I am mystified. He kept on talking about "lifting up" factor groups. I think this has something to do with using a factor group, say G/N, to show that there exists a larger group within G itself somehow related to G/N. It would be nice if the relationship were an isomorphism but I don't think we're guaranteed that. I've been looking over all the isomorphism and homomorphism theorems especially as they relate to factor groups but am still lost. The text never uses the phrase "lifting up" and I see nothing in the text or my notes about how to go from G/N back into G itself in any useful way. Note that there are clearly trivial non-useful ways to go from G/N back into G, I just can't find a useful way.

Any idea what he's talking about?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is now not homework, and you might get a better discussion inthe algebra thread. All he's using are the isomorphism theorems:

Subgroups of G/N are subgroups of G that contain N. If N<H<G, then H is a lift of H/N.

1. What is "Abstract Algebra - lifting up a factor group"?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with algebraic structures and operations. Lifting up a factor group refers to a process of constructing a new group from an existing group by "lifting up" or "lifting down" a subgroup.

2. What is a factor group?

A factor group, also known as a quotient group, is a group that is obtained by dividing a group by one of its normal subgroups. It consists of the cosets of the subgroup and inherits the group structure from the original group.

3. Why is lifting up a factor group important?

Lifting up a factor group allows us to study the structure of a group in a more simplified manner. It also helps in understanding the relationship between groups and subgroups, and can be used to prove certain theorems in abstract algebra.

4. Can any subgroup be lifted up to form a factor group?

No, only normal subgroups can be used to form factor groups. Normal subgroups have the property that their left and right cosets are the same, and this is necessary for the lifted group to have a well-defined group structure.

5. How is the lifted factor group related to the original group?

The lifted factor group is a homomorphic image of the original group. This means that the structure of the lifted group is similar to the original group, but some elements and operations may be "collapsed" or "merged" to form the cosets of the subgroup.