1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra: Parity of a Permutation

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I determine the parity of a permutation? I think my reasoning may be faulty.

By a theorem, an n-cycle is the product of (n-1) transpositions. For example, a 5 cycle can be written as 4 transpositions.

Now say I have a permutation written in cycle notation: (1 4 5)(2 3).

I say it is odd, because (1 4 5) can be written as two transpositions, and (2 3) is already a transposition, giving 3 total transpositions:

(1 4 5)(2 3) = (1 5)(1 4)(2 3).

Since the number of transpositions is odd, the permutation must be odd.
    Agree or disagree?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agree. Note that you are implicitly using a very important and non-trivial theorem, which is that even though a permutation may be written in many different ways as a product of transpositions, the parity is the same no matter which product you choose.

For example, a 5-cycle may be written as a product of 4 transpositions, or 6 transpositions, or 8, etc., but there's no way to write it as a product of 5 or 7 or 9...

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    Thank you, for the swift reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook