1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra question chapter 1.2

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove that if 2 does not divide a then 24 divides a^2-1

2. Relevant equations

I know that if 2 does not divide a then a is odd.

I proved that the square for all odd integers are of the form 8K+1

I also proved the square of any integer is either in the form 3k, 3k+1 or 3k+2. I know 3k and 3k+2 are even so the odd are in the form 3k+1

3. The attempt at a solution

Can I simply say that because both 8 and 3 are in this form then 8*3 is in this form?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    That is not what I mean to say. based on before I know that 8 divides a^2-1 and 3 divides a^2-1. Can I then say that since both 3 and 8 divide a^2-1 then 24 divides a^2-1

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    Ok, I just realized that 3k and 3k+2 are not necessarily even and 3k+1 is not necessarily odd. So now I am even more confused

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4
    OK, I am going to say this is not true. When a=3 then a^2 is in the form 3k. so I have disproved it I think.
    However the next part says if 2 or 3 do not divide a. That eliminates every third number. I also read my proof wrong and it is either 3k or 3k+1 not 3k+2 so eliminating all the times when 3 divides a will leave me the other two options and for each of those a^2 is in the form 3k+1. OK, I need to write it up but I think I got it.

6. Sep 3, 2009 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If this hypothesis is true, then this conclusion is true, by the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

7. Sep 3, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, since 3 and 8 have no prime factors in common, yes, any number that is divisible by both 3 and 8 is divisible by 3(8)= 24.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook