Abstract algebra question (math olympiad)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that a non-cyclic group G of order pn, where p is a prime number, has at least p+3 subgroups. Several solutions are suggested, including using induction and the fact that G has a non-trivial center, and using the Frattini subgroup to show that G has at least p+1 subgroups of index p. The level at which students are typically introduced to the Frattini subgroup is also discussed.
AdrianZ
Let G be a non-cyclic group of order pn where p is a prime number. Prove that G has at least p+3 subgroups.

Could anyone offer a solution to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many cyclic subgroups does such a group have?? (i.e. generated by one element).

have you tried induction, using n = 2 as your base case:

G = Zp x Zp

subgroups:

G
Zp x {0}
{0} x Zp
<(1,k)>, for p-1 choices of k (k ≠ 0)
{(0,0)}

total: 1+1+1+(p-1)+1 = p+3

for the induction step, you have two cases to prove:

G has a non-cyclic subgroup of order pk, k > 1 (easy case)
G has only cyclic subgroups (hard case)

for the second case (i haven't worked out all the details), i think you can use the fact that G has a non-trivial center, to reduce it to the case that G is abelian.

now if G is abelian and has only one subgroup of order pk, for every k < n, then G would be cyclic, and by supposition G is non-cyclic (appeal to sylow for existence of a subgroup of order pk)

so we can assume that for some 1< k < n, G has two distinct subgroups of order pk. but then we have two distinct subgroups of order p (by Cauchy), say H and K, and since G is abelian HK is a subgroup of G.

then: since G is supposed to be non-cyclic with only cyclic subgroups, HK must be cyclic, contradicting the fact that it has 2 distinct subgroups (H and K) of order p.

so G must not be abelian, and that should take care of it (unless I've done something stupid...could be).

Here's a quick proof. Let [itex]\Phi(G)[/itex] be the Frattini subgroup of G (= intersection of maximal subgps of G). Then [itex]G/\Phi(G) = (\mathbb Z/p\mathbb Z)^k[/itex] for some [itex]k\geq 1[/itex] and moreover k=1 iff G is cyclic. Since G isn't cyclic, we see that [itex]G/\Phi(G)[/itex] is an elementary abelian p-group of rank at least 2, hence has at least (p^2-1)/(p-1)=p+1 subgroups of index p. Consequently G has at least p+1 subgroups of index p. Now throw in the trivial subgroup and G itself to see that G has at least p+3 subgroups.

morphism said:
Here's a quick proof. Let [itex]\Phi(G)[/itex] be the Frattini subgroup of G (= intersection of maximal subgps of G). Then [itex]G/\Phi(G) = (\mathbb Z/p\mathbb Z)^k[/itex] for some [itex]k\geq 1[/itex] and moreover k=1 iff G is cyclic. Since G isn't cyclic, we see that [itex]G/\Phi(G)[/itex] is an elementary abelian p-group of rank at least 2, hence has at least (p^2-1)/(p-1)=p+1 subgroups of index p. Consequently G has at least p+1 subgroups of index p. Now throw in the trivial subgroup and G itself to see that G has at least p+3 subgroups.

by gosh, that's slick...let me ask you this, at what level do you think students get their first exposure to the Frattini subgroup?

Sigh... I was hoping that the OP would discover the answer by our hints...

The different proofs are all nice though.

micromass said:
Sigh... I was hoping that the OP would discover the answer by our hints...

The different proofs are all nice though.

in a perfect world, which this is not, the OP will examine each reply and turn, and think deeply on them. if that happy event comes to pass, perhaps they will gain more than just "the answer".

Deveno said:
by gosh, that's slick...let me ask you this, at what level do you think students get their first exposure to the Frattini subgroup?
I'd say graduate-level, if at all.

re: micromass: in principle, I generally agree with you. That said, I think this problem is somewhat unlike the others that get posted here, and I genuinely think that it hasn't been ruined. Like Deveno says, each of the first three posts above contains ideas (and mini-exercises) for the OP to ponder.

I read the answers, I got the idea but didn't fully understand them. I haven't studied p-sylow groups in details yet, I guess I need to work on the class equation and sylow theorem and reply later.
morphism's answer using the Frattini group sounds interesting because it's short and quick, so I hope one day I would have the opportunity to study the Frattini group as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is a more general and abstract approach to traditional algebra, which focuses on the properties and operations of specific number systems.

2. What are the applications of abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, cryptography, and engineering. It is used to solve complex problems and model real-world situations.

3. What is a math olympiad?

A math olympiad is a prestigious competition in which students from different countries or regions compete in solving challenging mathematical problems. It aims to promote critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and creativity in mathematics.

4. How does abstract algebra relate to math olympiad?

Many math olympiad problems involve abstract algebra concepts such as group theory, symmetry, and number theory. A strong understanding of abstract algebra can help students excel in math olympiads and other mathematical competitions.

5. How can I prepare for abstract algebra questions in math olympiads?

To prepare for abstract algebra questions in math olympiads, it is essential to have a solid understanding of algebraic structures, properties of numbers, and basic algebraic concepts. Practicing with past competition problems and studying advanced abstract algebra topics can also be helpful.