Abstract Algebra Question: Maximal Ideals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the existence of exactly one maximal ideal in Z_8 and Z_9, and how Z_10 and Z_15 have more than one maximal ideal. The conversation also touches on the definitions of maximal ideals and their properties. The participants discuss the prime factorizations of 8 and 9, and the order of subrings with respect to their "parent ring". The conversation concludes with the suggestion to consider the eligible orders for maximal ideals in Z_8 and Z_9, and to better understand the definitions and properties of ideals.
Lauren72

Homework Statement

a) Show that there is exactly one maximal ideal in Z_8 and in Z_9.

b) Show that Z_10 and Z_15 have more than one maximal ideal.

Homework Equations

I know a maximal ideal is one that is not contained within any other ideal (except for the ring itself)

By Theorem, we know that In a commutative ring R with identity, every maximal ideal is prime.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I was thinking I would just show that all of the classes were subsets of the other classes. i.e. [8/0] is contained in [4] is contained in [2], and [6] is contained in [3] and [2], [9] is contained in [3]. Does that make sense? But I couldn't figure out what to do with [5] and [7]. It seems to me like BOTH of those are maximal ideals, but I'm supposed to prove that there's only one. Also, not quite sure how to formalize this into a proof.

I'm pretty confident on what to do for b). I just have to show that there's more than one, right? And both Z_7 and Z_9 should be ideals in Z_10 and Z_15, aren't they?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of just writing [5], which I'm assuming is the ideal generated 5 in, say Z_8, it might make it clearer if you wrote out the elements contained in the ideal. Like, [4] in Z_8 is {0,4}, right? What's [5]?

Dick said:
Instead of just writing [5], which I'm assuming is the ideal generated 5 in, say Z_8, it might make it clearer if you wrote out the elements contained in the ideal. Like, [4] in Z_8 is {0,4}, right? What's [5]?

Oh, dang. Equivalence classes aren't ideals. Wow. Not sure what I was thinking.

All right. So it turns out that I actually have NO idea what I'm doing. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Lauren72 said:
Oh, dang. Equivalence classes aren't ideals. Wow. Not sure what I was thinking.

All right. So it turns out that I actually have NO idea what I'm doing. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Oh, you meant [5] to be an equivalence class? No, an ideal of Z_8 is a subset of Z_8 that's also subring with another property. Better check the definition.

Dick said:
Oh, you meant [5] to be an equivalence class? No, an ideal of Z_8 is a subset of Z_8 that's also subring with another property. Better check the definition.

Yeah. I know the definition of ideal. I've just been doing abstract algebra for the last few hours, and I think my brain may have gone a little soft and mushy.

Thanks for the willingness to help!

Lauren72 said:
Yeah. I know the definition of ideal. I've just been doing abstract algebra for the last few hours, and I think my brain may have gone a little soft and mushy.

Thanks for the willingness to help!

Some things to consider:

1) What is the prime factorization of 8? Of 9?

2) What do you know about the order of a subring with respect to its "parent ring"

3) Giving the theorem you stated, what are the eligible orders for a maximal ideal in Z_8? What about Z_9?

Frequently Asked Questions about Abstract Algebra: Maximal Ideals

1. What is a maximal ideal in abstract algebra?

A maximal ideal is a proper subset of a ring that is maximal with respect to being a proper ideal. In other words, it is an ideal that cannot be properly contained in any other proper ideal.

2. How do I determine if an ideal is maximal?

There are a few different methods for determining if an ideal is maximal. One approach is to show that the ideal is not contained in any other proper ideal. Another approach is to show that the quotient ring obtained by dividing out by the ideal is a field.

3. What is the importance of maximal ideals in abstract algebra?

Maximal ideals are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to construct quotient rings, which are important tools for studying the structure of rings. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry.

4. Are maximal ideals unique?

No, maximal ideals are not necessarily unique. A ring can have multiple maximal ideals, and in fact, a maximal ideal can contain other maximal ideals within it.

5. Can a maximal ideal be a prime ideal?

Yes, a maximal ideal can also be a prime ideal. In fact, in a commutative ring, every maximal ideal is a prime ideal. However, in non-commutative rings, there can be maximal ideals that are not prime.