1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra: Ring Theory Problems

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    Hello all,

I am trying to work on some Ring Theory proofs and my Abstract Algebra is very minimal as I have not taken the class but need to look into it nonetheless. If anyone can figure these out for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I am familiar in LaTeX typesetting but I don't know how to fluidly use it on this forum. If I enable the TeX can I use my typical math commands and implement conventional TeX'ing?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the doozy for me:

If R1,R2,...,Rn are commutative rings with identity, shows that U (R1 x R2 x ... x Rn) = U(R1) x U(R2) x ... x U(Rn)

2. Relevant equations

Identity: There exists some 1 in R such that a*1 = 1*a = a
    Commutativity: A, b in R such that ab = ba for all a, b.
    Unit: Must have identity, there exist some y in R such that xy = yx =1. Must be commutative.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried all sorts of debauchery but nothing seems to work. I have tried splitting this up and looking at it different ways, but nothing I've come up with is correct.

Show that a finite commutative ring with no zero-divisors and at least two elements has identity.

2. Relevant equations

See above.

So I need to show it is finite (easy), commutative, no zero-divisors, and and at least two elements has identity.

I define some ring R with no zero-divisors and at least two elements. Let a,b be in R. There exists a*a=1; a*b= a (or b). If a*a=a, then a*a*b=a*b...

Here I just keep running in circles.

Prove that (x) in Q[x] is maximal.

2. Relevant equations

Q is the set of all rationals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximal_element" [Broken]

Nothing. =[

Thank you for all the help!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You use Latex on this board by enclosing it in [ tex ]...[ /tex ] or [ itex ]... [ /itex ] or [ latex] ... [ latex ] without the spaces.

[tex]\frac{a}{b}[/tex]
    [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]

As for your problem, what do you mean by U (R1 x R2 x ... x Rn) = U(R1) x U(R2) x ... x U(Rn)? What is that "U"?

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    For your second problem, think of the definition of a ring. It is a group, with two operations (R,+,.) ... What do you know about the operation of addition in the ring? i.e. what must (R,+) be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook