1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra: Rings and Ideals

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is to show that a subset A of a ring S is an ideal where A has certain properties. S is a ring described as a cartisian product of two other rings (i.e., S=(RxZ,+,*)). I have already proved that A is a subring of S and proved one direction of the definition of an ideal. But, the other direction has brought me to having to show that R is commutative. It is given that R is a ring without zero divisors and without identity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that a ring R is commutative if it has the property that ab=ca implies b=c when a is not zero. I have attempted various simple manipulations of this statement by using the fact that R is a ring without zero divisors and without an identity.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    In other words, is a ring R without zero divisors and without an identity commutative.

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
  5. Feb 1, 2010 #4
    An integral domain has a unity (i.e., identity). In my case, R has no unity so it is not an integral domain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook