1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra: Subgroup Proof

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if H is a subgroup of G and K is a subgroup of H, then K is a subgroup of G.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know that H is a subgroup of G if H is non empty, has multiplication, and his inverses. So I assume that K is a subgroup of H for those same reasons, but I'm unsure how to show K is a subgroup of G based on those two results. I'm looking for the connection. Please help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might be confused because there is not much to show. K is a group in itself. So it has multiplication, inverses and an identity all by itself. I think all you really have to show is that the identity element in K is the same as the identity element in H and G. And, of course, that every element in K is also in H and hence in G. But that's easy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook