1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Abstract prime factorization proof

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A positive integer a is called a square if a=n^2 for some n in Z. Show that the integer a>1 is a square iff every exponent in its prime factorization is even.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know a=p1^a1p2^a2....pn^a^n is the definition of prime factorization.
    We let p=2n because any even number squared is an even numbers.
    Not sure how to continue.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2
    I keep trying to work on this one on I'm getting nowhere. Am I on the right track or does anyone have a suggestion?

4. Sep 16, 2010 #3
    It's not an even number; the exponents are even.

So in the prime factorization of a, [itex]{a_1,a_2,...,a_n}[/itex] are even. Now what does that mean about the square root of a?

5. Sep 16, 2010 #4
    @kathrynag,

When you have an "iff" problem, you really have to solve two problems. Here's a restatement of the problem to make this more clear:
    Let a > 1 be an integer.

1. Assume that a is a square. Prove that every exponent in its prime factorization is even.

2. Assume that every exponent in a's prime factorization is even. Prove that a is a square.

Does this help?

6. Sep 16, 2010 #5
    Yeah, that does help. I fell better about the 2nd part of the proof.
    The first part still worries me.
    Assume n is a square. Then we have a=n^2
    That's about as far as I get with that one.
    I know what I need to prove, but it's getting there.
    n^2=p1^a1p2^a2....pn^an

7. Sep 16, 2010 #6
    It is also even.

8. Sep 17, 2010 #7
    No. Consider 9. Its prime factorization is [itex] 3^2 [/itex]. Therefore it satisfies the rules of your problem. But it's not even, nor is it the square of an even number.

9. Sep 17, 2010 #8
    Hint: Write out the prime factorization for n and then use that to come up with another prime factorization for n^2.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook