1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Vector Space Question

1. Mar 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]g_1(t) = t - 1[/itex] and [itex]g_2(t)= t^2+t[/itex]. Using the inner product on [itex]P_2[/itex] defined in example 10(b) with [itex]t_1=-1,t_2=0,t_3=1[/itex], find a basis for the orthogonal complement of [itex]Span(g_1, g_2)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    From example 10(b)
    [itex]\langle p, q \rangle = \sum_{i=1}^{k+1} p(t_i)q(t_i)[/itex]

[itex](p,q)\in P_2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well the orthogonal complement of [itex]span(g_1,g_2)[/itex] will be [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]x\cdot (c_1g_1 + c_2g_2) = 0[/itex], but how can I find the basis for that set? And why and where do we need to use inner product? Im confused

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Start with this equation. Here, x [itex]\in[/itex] P2, so you can write it as a + bt + ct2.

Where you show the dot product in the equation above, you should be using the inner product from example 10b. Also, put in the formulas for the functions g1 and g2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook