Linear algebra - vector spaces, bases

In summary: You can use this information to calculate the other coefficients.In summary, the equation would be p'(0)=c, p'(1)=3a^2+2b+c, and so on.
tawi

Homework Statement

1) In a vector space V of all real polynomials of third degree or less find basis B such that for arbitrary polynomial p \in V the following applies:
[p]_B = \begin{pmatrix} p'(0)\\p'(1)\\p(0)\\p(1)\end{pmatrix} where p' is the derivative of the polynomial p.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would somebody be so kind and pointed me in a direction how to solve this? I have missed couple last lectures and I can´t seem to find this specifit type of problem anywhere.. Thanks:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, the space of third degree or less polynomials would be spanned by the standard basis:
##\begin{pmatrix} 1\\0\\0\\0 \end{pmatrix},\begin{pmatrix} 0\\1\\0\\0 \end{pmatrix},\begin{pmatrix} 0\\0\\1\\0 \end{pmatrix},\begin{pmatrix} 0\\0\\0\\1 \end{pmatrix}.##
And the polynomial
## ax^3 + bx^2+ cx + d ## would be represented by ##\begin{pmatrix} d\\c\\b\\a \end{pmatrix}.##
This problem is asking you for a different way to define a basis set such that the coefficient of p in first basis will always be p'(0), the coefficient of p in the second basis will always be p'(1), and so on.
Start with what you know those values have to be for a general polynomial. Then ask yourself what combinations would give you that result...finally, test to see if you indeed have a basis.

so for ##p'(0)## we'll have ##c##, for ##p'(1)## we will have ##3a^2+2b+c##, for ##p(0) d## and for ##p(1) a^3+b^2+c+d##... How will the final solution look like then? Just a vector with these elements?

tawi said:

Homework Statement

1) In a vector space V of all real polynomials of third degree or less find basis B such that for arbitrary polynomial p \in V the following applies:
[p]_B = \begin{pmatrix} p'(0)\\p'(1)\\p(0)\\p(0)\end{pmatrix} where p' is the derivative of the polynomial p.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would somebody be so kind and pointed me in a direction how to solve this? I have missed couple last lectures and I can´t seem to find this specifit type of problem anywhere.. Thanks:)

Have you made an error in transcription of the problem? Maybe there should be a p(1) or something?

Yes, the last one should in fact be p(1).

Would the question in ordinary algebra be: express any polynomial ax3 + bx2 + cx + d in terms of those other things, two of which are already c and d.
That is not very difficult in ordinary algebra, so maybe you could express your result back into vector space terms, and maybe the ordinary calculation back into vector space terms.
Not being very handy with vector spaces, I would like to see it.

You mean writing ##ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = p## which will give us system of four equations with the same LHS and RHS will always be the result for the individual elements of the basis?
So the first equation would be ##ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = c##, second ##ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = d##, third ##ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 3a^2 + 2b + c## and ##ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = a^3 + b^2 + c+ d##?

No I don't think I meant that, that doesn't seem to me to mean anything.
I did mean just obtain a, b, c, d in terms of the elements you were given.

I don't know what your conventions are for writing polynomials - RUber seems to be leaving out x's altogether.
My concrete way would be a horizontal vector
(x0, x1, x2,x3) that multiplies a matrix made of RUber's columns that multiplies his vertical vector.
I could change that into a different matrix that multiplies the vector in the problem.

tawi said:
so for ##p'(0)## we'll have ##c##, for ##p'(1)## we will have ##3a^2+2b+c##, for ##p(0) d## and for ##p(1) a^3+b^2+c+d##... How will the final solution look like then? Just a vector with these elements?
Note that p'(1) will not have coefficients raised to powers. The x terms were the variables raised to powers and you are plugging in x=1 to the polynomial.

Example p(1)= a(1^3)+b(1^2)+c(1)+d= a+b+c+d.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, along with operations for combining these vectors (such as addition and scalar multiplication). These operations must follow certain rules and properties, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity.

What is a basis?

A basis of a vector space is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in that space through linear combinations. It is a minimal set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. In other words, any vector in the space can be written as a unique combination of the basis vectors.

How can I determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a given vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a given vector space, you can use the two conditions for a basis: linear independence and spanning. First, check if all the vectors in the set are linearly independent (i.e. no vector can be written as a linear combination of the others). Then, check if the set spans the entire space (i.e. every vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the set's vectors).

What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space. It is also the maximum number of linearly independent vectors that can be found in the space. For example, in 3-dimensional space, the standard basis is {i, j, k}, so the dimension is 3.

Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have more than one basis. The dimension of the space will remain the same, but there can be different sets of vectors that form a basis. These bases can have different numbers of vectors, as long as they still meet the conditions of linear independence and spanning.