AC refrigerant in cars,greenhouse effect reasoning

  • Thread starter Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac Refrigerant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
marellasunny
Messages
245
Reaction score
3
I'm a mechanical engineer and am learning about the different refrigerants used.
2 of them seem to be the most popular- R134a(C2H2F4) and R1234yf(C3H2F4).

Why is it that R134a is rated at a Greenhouse effect(GWP) of 1430 where R1234yf is rated at a GWP of 4?

Both refrigerants produce CO2,I assume.Won't R1234yf produce more of it considering it has more carbon atoms?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It seems you are misunderstanding the concept of a GWP. I wasn't aware of how this rating is measured/calculated but a quick Google/Wikipedia excursion revealed that GWP is not related to the production of CO2 by a given compound, but is a measure of how much EM energy a given compound will absorb in a certain amount of time relative to the same mass of CO2. The CO2 appears to be arbitrarily set to 1 as a reference.

See the Wikipedia for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global-warming_potential
 
Last edited: