1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B AC vs evaporative cooler: ratio of (BTUs/hr)/electric watts

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    Hi

Air conditioner vs evaporative cooler: ratio of (BTUs/hr) / electrical watts

I know evaporative coolers do not state BTUs/hr. I do not know why.

Did anyone try them and record time taken to cool.

I found this example, but I do not know if it is practically relevant:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e4yanAg2CCVEok3BD4cTSg&bvm=bv.128153897,d.bGs

I just read the last line “In this example, the cost of electrical cooling is about 7 times greater than the cost of evaporative cooling.”

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

Grinkle

Gold Member

Evaporative coolers, aka 'swamp coolers' work in dry air (only). As the humidity increases, evaporation decreases, and the resultant heat removal due to evaporation decreases.

I imagine it is difficult for manufacturers to make meaningful claims about heat removal for swamp coolers.

I grew up with a swamp cooler in AZ, it worked great in the dry air. I live in Dallas now, and it would be a waste of electricity here.

A swamp cooler runs a fan and a small water pump (really small), so it basically uses as much electricity as a fan. Electrical coolers run a high pressure pump that moves freon in a closed system through two phases (gas / liquid), this takes a lot more power than just blowing air past / over wet pads that have water dripping on them, which is what a swamp cooler does.

4. Jul 27, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Strictly speaking, direct evaporative coolers don't do any cooling, so there's that...

Griddle is also correct; evaporative cooler output is highly dependent on the input conditions, and therefore very inconsistent. So the vendors don't give general BTU ratings.

But you coud pick a specific set of conditions and calculate sensible cooling provided. Much of the info can be gotten from a performance table.

5. Jul 27, 2016 #4
    OK Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted