Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B AC vs evaporative cooler: ratio of (BTUs/hr)/electric watts

1. Jul 27, 2016 #1
    Hi

Air conditioner vs evaporative cooler: ratio of (BTUs/hr) / electrical watts

I know evaporative coolers do not state BTUs/hr. I do not know why.

Did anyone try them and record time taken to cool.

I found this example, but I do not know if it is practically relevant:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e4yanAg2CCVEok3BD4cTSg&bvm=bv.128153897,d.bGs

I just read the last line “In this example, the cost of electrical cooling is about 7 times greater than the cost of evaporative cooling.”

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2016 #2

Grinkle

Gold Member

Evaporative coolers, aka 'swamp coolers' work in dry air (only). As the humidity increases, evaporation decreases, and the resultant heat removal due to evaporation decreases.

I imagine it is difficult for manufacturers to make meaningful claims about heat removal for swamp coolers.

I grew up with a swamp cooler in AZ, it worked great in the dry air. I live in Dallas now, and it would be a waste of electricity here.

A swamp cooler runs a fan and a small water pump (really small), so it basically uses as much electricity as a fan. Electrical coolers run a high pressure pump that moves freon in a closed system through two phases (gas / liquid), this takes a lot more power than just blowing air past / over wet pads that have water dripping on them, which is what a swamp cooler does.

4. Jul 27, 2016 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Strictly speaking, direct evaporative coolers don't do any cooling, so there's that...

Griddle is also correct; evaporative cooler output is highly dependent on the input conditions, and therefore very inconsistent. So the vendors don't give general BTU ratings.

But you coud pick a specific set of conditions and calculate sensible cooling provided. Much of the info can be gotten from a performance table.

5. Jul 27, 2016 #4
    OK Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted