1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acadamia vs. Industry - supervisors role

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    Acadamia vs. Industry -- supervisors role

Is there an incentive for supervisors to guide their Ph.D. students to follow an academic career rather than move to industry?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2
    Re: Acadamia vs. Industry -- supervisors role

Yes, but I think it is mostly non-financial - there may be financial benefit if their area of study is bigger and more prestigious, but every researcher in the same field is also (sometimes indirect) competition for limited dollars. I don't think either of those have much impact, but I'd be interested if others disagree.

You didn’t specify a discipline, but assuming you’re discussing physics, many professors see industry as failure and academia as success, and some part of their ego is tied up in getting students into academic positions. Obviously this varies by individual, by specialty and by institution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook