Academic title in your e-mail signature

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you list an academic title (like PhD) or certification (PMP) in your email signature? I see some of both where I work.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Do you list an academic title (like PhD) or certification (PMP) in your email signature? I see some of both where I work.
I don't, but many folks, particularly PhDs and PEs do.

I like Serena
Homework Helper
MHB
I put my job title in my email signature.
My academic title is not really relevant so I leave it out.

Is the academic title or certification relevant where you work?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We're required to put our job title on our sigs at work. Sometimes, if I know the person I'm writing, I replace my title with "Laboratory Dogsbody" :biggrin:.

KingNothing
I don't and never would 'just because'. I find it's off-putting and pretentious. (when optional)

If I were chatting with someone on the street and he or she out-of-nowhere said "I have a PhD", and it wasn't something I needed to know or care about, I would think they are kind of rude. I don't see how putting it in a signature unnecessarily is any different.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't usually, but I have been known to follow my initials with "range/lab rat" depending if I am on the test range or in the lab working. Most people I work with know that if I say that, I am out of town and don't try to get a hold of me any further.

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My employer has a policy of NOT including academic/professional titles on any internal emails or reports. Job titles are a different matter - the logic being that your job title reflects what the company is paying you to do, not what pieces of paper you collected by jumping through hoops.

That doesn't necessarily apply to communications outside the company, if there is a justifiable reason for including them (e.g. published papers, conference presentations, etc) - but self-aggrandisement doesn't count as a justification.

But even with that policy, there are huge differences between different cultures. Our German colleagues don't think they "know" anybody until they have seen an organization chart with at least 100 boxes on it showing how they fit into the "big picture". And if you get confused and permute the order of Herr Dr. Ing. Eur. (or should that be Herr Ing. P. Eur. Dr.?) you instantly lose all credibility :smile:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Of course I do, I worked hard to get it :wink: If it is relevant for your work, why wouldn't you use it? When I send e-mails to colleagues or my hairdresser I always leave out the signature.

Suggested for: Academic title in your e-mail signature

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views