1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerated mathemathical pendulum

1. Apr 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Mathemathical pendulum with mass ##m## on a line ##L## is moving with constant acceleration in xz plane, ##\vec{a}=(a_x,a_z)##. Let's consider only the oscillations in xz plane. Find stationary value of ##\theta ## and find the frequency of small movements around the stationary angle if ##a_x=0##.

wfferer.JPG
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, let's put one coordinate system somewhere :D and another one on the top of line ##L##. Let's say that these two coordinate systems are connected with vector R.

Let's express everything in accelerated system:

##\vec{r}=(Lsin\theta , Lcos\theta )## and ##\vec{R}=(-\frac{1}{2}a_xt^2,-\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2)##

Both together give me ##v=(\dot{\theta }Lcos\theta -a_xt,-\dot{\theta }Lsin\theta -a_yt)## and ##v^2=\dot{\theta }^2L^2+t^2(a_x^2+a_y^2)+2\dot{\theta }Lt(sin\theta a_y-cos\theta a_x##

So ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{\theta }^2L^2+t^2(a_x^2+a_y^2)+2\dot{\theta }Lt(sin\theta a_y-cos\theta a_x)+mgLcos\theta ##.

I won't even write the equations from here one because this brings me to wrong simple solution:

##\ddot{\theta }+\frac{g}{l}\theta =0## which can not be ok. It looks like I am missing something when calculating the velocity? But what?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd have tried:
    In the accelerated frame, rotate the axis to reflect the apparent direction of gravity - you should end up with the same relations as you are used to right?

To recover the problem-statement x and y directions, transform back.

Note: I originally interpreted the diagram as indicating that the pivot was subject to an applied force.

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3

That's the problem. If I would write everything one of you would for sure notice that I was not careful.

Anyway, calculating everything ok brings me to

##\ddot{\theta }+\frac{1}{L}(a_xcos\theta +a_ysin\theta +g sin\theta )=0##

And therefore stationary angle ##\theta _0=arctg(\frac{a_x}{a_y+g})##

And for ##a_x=0## also

##\ddot{\theta }+\frac{1}{L}(a_y+g)\theta =0##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted