1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration and Kinetic Energy

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1

k0k

k30wsi.png

2. Relevant equations

a=F/m
    Ek= 1/2mv^2
    ---
    Not exactly sure how to go through with this..
    I tried finding velocity with the given kinetic energy, but am unsure what to do next.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2

tms

What has happened to the kinetic energy at the point of closest approach? Where is the point of closest approach?

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

k0k

Um, the kinetic energy is at it's maximum when it's approaching the nuclues?

Wait.. so is the kinetic energy given to me, is the Ek at the beginning I believe. Not sure how that'll help me though.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How fast is the particle moving when at its closest to the nucleus? What has been the change in KE? Where has the energy gone? Can you determine the distance of closest approach?

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5

tms

Are you sure about that? You have a positive charge approaching another positive charge? Is the force attractive or repulsive?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook