Acceleration and net force for masses on a pulley system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
bekbel
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
help, please :)

Homework Statement


Two masses are suspended by a string placed over a pulley supported by the ceiling (m1 = 2.20 kg and m2 = 7.70 kg) Consider up to be positive.
What is the acceleration on the 6.20 kg mass? The net force?
What is the acceleration on the 7.70 kg mass? The net force?



Homework Equations



m2g / (m1+m2) (is that the correct one?)

F = MA


The Attempt at a Solution



For the 6.20 kg mass:

7.70(9.81) / (7.70 + 6.20) = 75.537 / 13.9 = 5.43

6.20 * 5.43 = 33.7 N


Am I anywhere close??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, now my problem is, there is no mention of tension. So how do I solve for the individual net forces if I don't know acceleration or tension?
 
After solving, I found the acceleration of both to be 1.06

The individual net forces are 6.57 for the 6.20 mass, and 8.16 for the 7.70 mass. Do you believe this is correct?