Acceleration due to air resistance?

In summary, the conversation revolved around helping a friend calculate equations for a long range projectile with a maximum distance of 2 miles. The equation used was from a physics forum thread and the variables used included Cd=.295, rho=1.22752kg/m^3, A=pi.2^2m^2, v=240m/s, and a mass of .23kg. However, the estimated acceleration of (-)5698 m/s^2 was deemed incorrect and there was a question about factoring in gravity and air resistance for a more accurate velocity. The issue of the projectile's size and weight was also discussed, with the conclusion that it was too light to reach the desired velocity. The problem of finding an
evilmigit14
a friend of mine asked if i could help him work out some equations for a (fairly) long range projectile, to go no farther than 2 miles or so. i have everything reasonably worked out except for acceleration due to air resistance. I'm using the equation from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=9066" thread to calculade Fd, and Cd=.295, rho=1.22752kg/m^3, A=pi.2^2m^2, v=240m/s, firing an object with a mass of .23kg. (Cd and rho both came from the Nasa website) I did the calculations and got an estimated acceleration of about (-)5698 m/s^2, which obviously cannot be right.

I was also wondering if there is any way to get a more accurate velocity by factoring in acceleration of gravity and air resistance. I'd assume it'll take some nasty algebra/calculus, but i can't figure it out on my own.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Area = 4pi square meters and a mass of only 0.23 kg? That sounds pretty much like a 2 meter diameter balloon to me.

If you tried moving something as big and light as that at 240 m/s (mach 0.7), the deceleration would indeed be large.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
Area = 4pi square meters and a mass of only 0.23 kg? That sounds pretty much like a 2 meter diameter balloon to me.

If you tried moving something as big and light as that at 240 m/s (mach 0.7), the deceleration would indeed be large.

I think the area is 0.04pi m^2. Still very large. A projectile with a 20 cm diameter with a mass of only 0.23 kg can´t fly at 240 m/s.

Its not a wieldy problem, first Cd is not a constant at all but varies with velocity in a complex fashion, making this impossible to find an exact closed form solution. However, you could approximate a soln using a fixed Cd and initial V that's only subject to drag and gravity. But check the diameter, this is as pointed out much too low a ballistic coefficient to go anywhere due to whiffle ball effect.

1. What is acceleration due to air resistance?

Acceleration due to air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the air molecules colliding with the object and creating a force in the opposite direction of motion.

2. How does air resistance affect acceleration?

Air resistance has a negative effect on acceleration, as it acts in the opposite direction of motion and slows down the object. This means that the object will experience a decrease in acceleration as it moves through the air.

3. How is air resistance calculated?

The calculation of air resistance is complex and involves factors such as the shape and size of the object, the air density, and the velocity of the object. It can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account these factors to determine the force of air resistance.

4. Can air resistance be ignored?

In most cases, air resistance cannot be ignored as it has a significant impact on the motion of an object through the air. However, in some situations where the object is small or the air density is low, the effects of air resistance may be negligible.

5. How can air resistance be reduced?

Air resistance can be reduced by changing the shape or size of the object to make it more streamlined, increasing the speed of the object, or decreasing the air density by moving to a higher altitude. Additionally, using materials with low drag coefficients can also help to reduce the effects of air resistance.