1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration due to Gravity problem.

1. May 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Acceleration due to gravity, g, is considered to be 9.8(m/s^2). However, changes in latitude alter g according to the following model:
    g = 9.78049(1 + 0.005288sin^2x-0.000006sin^2(2x))(m/s^2), where x is latitude measured in degrees.
    [Side note= Hey guys i didn't know how to type in the little zero with the line across it which is the variable for degrees so i just used x, so x = zero-with-slash]

a) Rewrite g in terms of powers of sinx only
    b)Find the latitude of Portland, Maine, and determine g.
    c)Find the percent of change between the value calculated in part b above and the standard value of 9.8.

2. Relevant equations
    I seriously can't think of any! I don't even know where to begin! :(

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please excuse my sorry attempt:
    a)1.g = 9.78049(1 + 0.005288sin^2x-0.000006sin^2(2x))(m/s^2)
    2.g = 9.78049(sin0x +sin^2x-sin^2x)
    3.g = 9.78049(sin^3x)
    b)Using a calc to graph
    portland = 5.4 degrees
    g = 95
    (im probably way off)
    c)5.4/9.8 = .548

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To write this as a power of sin(x) only, you just need to get rid of the sin(2x) term. Do you know a trig identity that will get you an expression for sin(2x) in terms of sin(x) and cos(x)? Then to write the cos(x) in terms of sin(x) remember 1=sin^2(x)+cos^2(x).

4. May 5, 2008 #3
    Dick is right. And for that 'zero with a slash in it', you mean the Greek letter 'phi' or 'theta' ;)

5. May 5, 2008 #4
    Thanks Dick, you helped me out alot i just have one small question though.
    Sin^2(x) * sin^2(x) = sin^4(x) ...right? :)

Or anyone else, in case Dick isn't here could answer.

6. May 5, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a really small question. Sure. x^2*x^2=x^4. So sin^2(x)*sin^2(x)=sin^4(x). How could you doubt it? Were you working on the same question as sirajoman?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?