1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational acceleration, cosine problem

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The gravitational acceleration at latitude x (0<x<90) can be estimated with g(x)=a*cos(2x)+b.
    1) Determine what a and b is if the gravitational acceleration is 9.780m/s^2 at x=0 and 9.832m/s^2 at x=90.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I begin by entering what I know:
    9.780=a+b (Because cos(2*0) is 1)
    9.780-a=b
    And then the other equation:
    9.832=-5.9846*a+b (Because cos(2*90) is -5.9846)

I then combine the two equations, jumping over the middle steps, gives:
    -0.00868=a-a which means... -0.00868=0 which isn't logical. I wanted to get what a is, then enter it into either of the equations and get b.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cos(2*90) = -5.9846? cosine can only evaluate between -1 and +1. Remember, latitude is measured in degrees, not radians. Try again.

4. Nov 6, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're skipping some steps here and writing stuff that isn't true. cos(2 * 90°) = -1.

5. Nov 6, 2014 #4
    Thank you! The book said that real life applications are measured in radians and not degrees, so I assumed it would be the same here. I solved it now, thanks again!

6. Nov 6, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your book is not correct on this point. Latitude and longitude are always measured in degrees. In most other applications, degrees or grads are used. Radians are generally used only in math or science, because they simplify working with derivatives and integrals of trig functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted