Gravitational acceleration, cosine problem

In summary: Anyway, you're welcome!In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the values of a and b in the equation g(x)=a*cos(2x)+b for estimating gravitational acceleration at different latitudes. The correct measurement for latitude is in degrees, not radians, and the book's statement that real life applications use radians is incorrect.
BadatPhysicsguy

Homework Statement

The gravitational acceleration at latitude x (0<x<90) can be estimated with g(x)=a*cos(2x)+b.
1) Determine what a and b is if the gravitational acceleration is 9.780m/s^2 at x=0 and 9.832m/s^2 at x=90.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I begin by entering what I know:
9.780=a+b (Because cos(2*0) is 1)
9.780-a=b
And then the other equation:
9.832=-5.9846*a+b (Because cos(2*90) is -5.9846)

I then combine the two equations, jumping over the middle steps, gives:
-0.00868=a-a which means... -0.00868=0 which isn't logical. I wanted to get what a is, then enter it into either of the equations and get b.

Physics news on Phys.org
BadatPhysicsguy said:

Homework Statement

The gravitational acceleration at latitude x (0<x<90) can be estimated with g(x)=a*cos(2x)+b.
1) Determine what a and b is if the gravitational acceleration is 9.780m/s^2 at x=0 and 9.832m/s^2 at x=90.

Homework Equations

9.780-a=b

cos(2*90) = -5.9846? cosine can only evaluate between -1 and +1. Remember, latitude is measured in degrees, not radians. Try again.

BadatPhysicsguy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

9.780-a=b
You're skipping some steps here and writing stuff that isn't true. cos(2 * 90°) = -1.
BadatPhysicsguy said:
I then combine the two equations, jumping over the middle steps, gives:
-0.00868=a-a which means... -0.00868=0 which isn't logical. I wanted to get what a is, then enter it into either of the equations and get b.

SteamKing said:
cos(2*90) = -5.9846? Remember, latitude is measured in degrees, not radians. Try again.
Thank you! The book said that real life applications are measured in radians and not degrees, so I assumed it would be the same here. I solved it now, thanks again!

BadatPhysicsguy said:
Thank you! The book said that real life applications are measured in radians and not degrees, so I assumed it would be the same here. I solved it now, thanks again!

Your book is not correct on this point. Latitude and longitude are always measured in degrees. In most other applications, degrees or grads are used. Radians are generally used only in math or science, because they simplify working with derivatives and integrals of trig functions.

1. What is gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity, which is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is typically denoted by the symbol "g" and has a value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

2. How is gravitational acceleration calculated?

Gravitational acceleration can be calculated using the formula g = Gm/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the cosine problem in relation to gravitational acceleration?

The cosine problem refers to the mathematical relationship between the angle of an object's trajectory and the gravitational acceleration acting upon it. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the trajectory of objects in motion.

4. How does gravitational acceleration vary on different planets?

The value of gravitational acceleration varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. For example, the gravitational acceleration on Mars is approximately 3.7 meters per second squared, while on Jupiter it is approximately 24.8 meters per second squared.

5. What is the significance of gravitational acceleration in space exploration?

Gravitational acceleration plays a critical role in space exploration as it determines the motion and trajectory of objects in space. Understanding and accurately calculating gravitational acceleration allows scientists and engineers to plan and execute successful space missions.