Acceleration given distance from earth (r)

In summary, the acceleration due to gravity at a distance of 3.59 x 107 m from the earth is .31 m/s2.
Pajarito
Question: Satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 3.59 X 107 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

So far I've been using g=(M/r2) and get .31m/s2. There must be something wrong with either using this equation or that g isn't the acceleration. Can you explain how to reach acceleration from this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the equation you posted, you're missing the gravitational constant "G." However, I suspect you used it in your calculation because I got the same answer when I included G. You seem to be assuming that your answer of .31 m/s2 is wrong, but it seems fine to me.

I wouldn't use small g to denote the acceleration in orbit though. Small g usually refers to the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface. Instead, you could call it "a" for acceleration.

Normally I'd use the traditional gravitational formula, but since I don't have a mass for the second object (satellite) I'm not sure if I can use it. F=(GM1M2)/r2. Since F=ma, I wonder if once I solve the equation I should divide it by the mass of Earth again to isolate a, that would lead to a very small number though and I don't think that would be accurate, any suggestions about doing it that way?

Pajarito said:
Normally I'd use the traditional gravitational formula, but since I don't have a mass for the second object (satellite) I'm not sure if I can use it. F=(GM1M2)/r2. Since F=ma, I wonder if once I solve the equation I should divide it by the mass of Earth again to isolate a, that would lead to a very small number though and I don't think that would be accurate, any suggestions about doing it that way?

Sure, you can use Newton's law of gravitation no problem. That's what the equation you used is derived from. Here's how:

[itex]\displaystyle F=G\frac{mM_E}{r^2}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle a=F/m[/itex]

Substitute F:

[itex]\displaystyle a=G\frac{mM_E}{r^2}/m[/itex]

and m cancels to give:

[itex]\displaystyle a=G\frac{M_E}{r^2}[/itex]

Then, plugging in the radius given by the problem, and putting in the numerical values for G and ME (mass of earth):

[itex]\displaystyle a=(6.673×10^{-11})\frac{5.972×10^{24} kg}{(3.59×10^7 m)^2} = 0.31\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]

Are you convinced that you got the right answer yet? :)

Last edited:
I'm convinced but it's this online system that won't mark the answer as correct, I'll check with my professor. Thanks for you help.

What is acceleration given distance from earth (r)?

Acceleration given distance from earth (r) is a measure of how much an object's velocity changes per unit of time, as it moves away from or towards the earth. It is affected by the strength of the gravitational force between the object and the earth.

How is acceleration given distance from earth (r) calculated?

The acceleration given distance from earth (r) is calculated using the formula a = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.674 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the earth, and r is the distance from the center of the earth to the object.

Does acceleration given distance from earth (r) change with altitude?

Yes, acceleration given distance from earth (r) does change with altitude. As an object moves farther away from the center of the earth, the value of r increases, resulting in a decrease in acceleration. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases with the square of the distance between two objects.

What is the relationship between acceleration given distance from earth (r) and the object's mass?

The acceleration given distance from earth (r) is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that as the mass of the object increases, the acceleration also increases. However, the acceleration is also inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the earth, so as the object moves farther away, the acceleration decreases.

How does acceleration given distance from earth (r) affect the motion of objects in orbit?

Acceleration given distance from earth (r) is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around the earth. The gravitational force between the object and the earth causes the object to accelerate towards the earth, while the object's tangential velocity prevents it from falling to the ground. This balance of forces results in the object orbiting the earth at a constant distance and velocity.