Acceleration of a Charged Particle in 3D Vector Notation

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem from their first year college course that their professor designed to be "deliberately obscure." They make some basic errors and are looking for help. They are having trouble figuring out what the vectors r⃗ 31 and r⃗ 32 are.
cactusblanket

Homework Statement

Hi there!
Here is a problem from our 1st year course. We have covered the basics on charges and Coulomb's Law. However our prof said he designed the following question to be "deliberately obscure"!

Two charges of 4.00μC are fixed in space, Q1 at (0,0,0) and Q2 at (-1,4,4) with distances accurate to 3 significant figures. A third particle of mass 6.00 g and charge Q3=-3.50μC is placed at (2,3,2) and released. Express its acceleration at the moment of its release using vector notation.

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2 / r221

The Attempt at a Solution

My level of understanding is very basic.
A hint from our professor is:
1. find the F on the 3rd particle from charge one,
2. then from charge two.
3. Add them vectorially
4. divide by the mass.

So I was able to do the following:
In the denominator I used
√((0+2)+(0+3)+(0+2))2
And I got these answers
1. F = -7.40 x 10-3 (-2i, -3j, -2k)N
2. F = -1.46 x 10-3 (-1i, 1j, 2k)N
3. I added them together to get -8.86 x 10-3 (-0.593i, -0.620j, -0.269k)N
4. I used F=ma to get final answer of:

-1.477 (-0.593i, -0.620j, -0.269k)m/s2

I would like to know if I am way off track here or possibly in the ball park.
Any help would be great, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
cactusblanket said:

Homework Statement

Hi there!
Here is a problem from our 1st year course. We have covered the basics on charges and Coulomb's Law. However our prof said he designed the following question to be "deliberately obscure"!

Two charges of 4.00μC are fixed in space, Q1 at (0,0,0) and Q2 at (-1,4,4) with distances accurate to 3 significant figures. A third particle of mass 6.00 g and charge Q3=-3.50μC is placed at (2,3,2) and released. Express its acceleration at the moment of its release using vector notation.

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2 / r221

The Attempt at a Solution

My level of understanding is very basic.
A hint from our professor is:
1. find the F on the 3rd particle from charge one,
2. then from charge two.
3. Add them vectorially
4. divide by the mass.

So I was able to do the following:
In the denominator I used
√((0+2)+(0+3)+(0+2))2
And I got these answers
1. F = -7.40 x 10-3 (-2i, -3j, -2k)N
2. F = -1.46 x 10-3 (-1i, 1j, 2k)N
3. I added them together to get -8.86 x 10-3 (-0.593i, -0.620j, -0.269k)N
4. I used F=ma to get final answer of:

-1.477 (-0.593i, -0.620j, -0.269k)m/s2

I would like to know if I am way off track here or possibly in the ball park.
Any help would be great, thank you!
You've made some basic errors.

The ##r## in the denominator is the distance between the two charges. The distance between Q3 and Q1 is different than the distance between Q2 and Q3, right? So you can't use the same denominator for calculating the two forces.

Also your expression for the distance should have minus signs in there somewhere. You shouldn't be adding the coordinates.

Why don't you start by figuring out what ##\vec{r}_{31}## and ##\vec{r}_{32}## are? Then use those results to calculate ##\vec{F}_{31}## and ##\vec{F}_{32}##.

Hi,
Actually, I did use different denominators.
Your advice to try to figure out what r⃗ 31 and r⃗ 32 is spot on.

Indeed that is my first road block (I wasn't able to clarify that in my original post.)
I don't know how to calculate that.

Can you please recommend how I go about solving for r⃗ 31 and r⃗ 32?
Thank you!

How do you calculate the vector connecting the points (0, 0, 0) and (2, 3, 2), with the tail at (0, 0, 0) and the tip at (2, 3, 2)? Similarly, how do you calculate the vector connecting the points (-1, 4, 4) and (2, 3, 2), with the tail at (-1, 4, 4) and the tip at (2, 3, 2)? Note this is the stuff you learned way back when you first learned about displacement and vectors, so if you don't know off the top of your head how to do this, you should go back and review this material in your textbook.

Actually, I thought that I added the vectors correctly:
The vector points (0, 0, 0) and (2, 3, 2) give (2, 3, 2).
The vector points (-1, 4, 4) and (2, 3, 2) give (1, 7, 6).

To find their magnitude I performed √(22 + 32+ 22)2 and √(12 + 72+ 72)2.

I used those as my denominators and I get
F⃗ 31=-7.40 x 10-3 N
F⃗ 32 = -1.46 x 10-3 N

This still gives me a final answer of -1.477 m/s2.
Is my vectorial addition still off?

Just so you know, I didn't study physics in high school (30 years ago) and only recently passed an introductory physics course, so I acknowledge the gaps in my knowledge.
I hope you can still give me some pointers as I work through this.

Say you were looking for the vector connecting the points (1, 0) and (1, 1). If you were to add those, you get (2,1). Try drawing a diagram of the situation. Is (2, 1) the right answer?

I drew it tip to tail. Yes, (2, 1) is correct.

No, it's not. You're not answering the right question.

Sorry, but that is how I learned to add vectors.
I cannot seem to understand the right question.
What is the right question?

Well, you are adding them correctly. One question is why are you adding them? Reread post #6. Does the vector (2,1) answer the question I asked?

OK, so the answer (2, 1) gives the direction only.
Magnitude is √5.

It is 11:15 pm, time to put the kids to sleep and go to bed here in Nova Scotia.
Looking forward to replying to your next prompt and resuming the thread if you are willing and able.
Hope I don't appear TOO dumb!
Thanks for your patience, good night for now.

Hi Vela, I see you are online now. Can you continue this thread?

Okay, I've been working on it and here is what I have been able to do:

Step 1
F⃗13 = (-35.9i, -53.9j, -35.9k) N

Step 2
F⃗ 23 = (-72.1i, 24.0j, 48.1k) N

Step 3
Add vectorially= (-108.0i, -29.8j, 12.1k) N

Step 4
F⃗=ma yields

(-17,999i, -4974j, 2024k) m/s2

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a charged particle in 3D vector notation?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a charged particle in 3D vector notation is a = (q/m) * E + (q/m) * (v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, m is its mass, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

2. How does the charge and mass of a particle affect its acceleration in 3D vector notation?

The charge and mass of a particle determine its acceleration in 3D vector notation. The greater the charge of the particle, the stronger its acceleration will be in an electric field. Similarly, the greater the mass of the particle, the slower its acceleration will be in a magnetic field.

3. What role do the electric and magnetic fields play in the acceleration of a charged particle?

The electric and magnetic fields are the two factors that determine the acceleration of a charged particle in 3D vector notation. The electric field causes a force on the particle due to its charge, while the magnetic field causes a force on the particle due to its motion. Together, these two fields determine the direction and magnitude of the particle's acceleration.

4. How does the velocity of a charged particle affect its acceleration in 3D vector notation?

The velocity of a charged particle plays a significant role in its acceleration in 3D vector notation. The magnetic field component of the acceleration formula is dependent on the cross product of the particle's velocity with the magnetic field. Therefore, the direction and magnitude of the particle's velocity will influence the direction and magnitude of its acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a charged particle in 3D vector notation be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a charged particle in 3D vector notation can be negative. This means that the particle's acceleration is in the opposite direction of its velocity. It can occur when the electric and magnetic fields are acting in opposite directions, causing the particle to decelerate or change direction.