1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration of a Falling Object from Average Velocities

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After gathering data via ticker tape, of a falling object, I had the following information:

Time (s), Displacement (cm)
    0.0 - 0.1 , 6.2
    0.1 - 0.2 , 16.0
    0.2 - 0.3 , 24.5
    0.3 - 0.4 , 33.1
    0.4 - 0.5 , 43.0
    0.5 - 0.6 , 49.7

The Question:

Determine the average acceleration. Is the acceleration due to gravity uniform? Explain your answer using evidence from your investigation.

2. Relevant equations

Avg. Velocity = Displacement / time

Avg. Acceleration = (Change in Velocity) / time

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the average velocities (cm/s) as 62, 160, 245, 331, 430, 497.

I then calculated average velocity as 725cm/s/s :
    Avg. Accel. = (497-62) / 0.6 ​

I was planning on proving that it is uniform acceleration by calculating the acceleration between two consecutive points however when doing so, I always get an acceleration much less than 725cm/s/s.
    Accel. = (331 - 245) / 0.2 ​
    = 430cm/s​

I get something similar with all consecutive points and I don't understand why/ I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Please help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2

tms

I assume the object starts at rest. In the first interval the speed goes from 0 to 6.2 cm in 0.1 sec. In the second interval it goes from 6.2 to 16.0 cm in 0.1 sec. What is the average speed in each of those intervals?

4. Feb 23, 2013 #3
    I guess I didn't set up my table properly but by displacement I meant the change for that time interval. As in between 0.1 and 0.2 seconds it travelled from 6.2 to 22.2 for a displacement of 16cm.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4

tms

That's okay, you should just label it correctly.

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5

tms

There are only 0.5 seconds between those two measurements.
    And there is only 0.1 seconds between those two measurements.

Try doing for acceleration what you did for velocity: At each point put the change in velocity in the table. You might also want to draw graphs of position, velocity and acceleration with respect to time.

7. Feb 24, 2013 #6
    Oh! That makes sense! thank you very much! A few last questions: How would I properly label my chart to indicate the difference in displacement values at each point? Or should I just add them cumulatively to avoid the problem? Also, on a graph I'm assuming the first point would be 0.1sec and 62cm/s even though 62cm/s is the average velocity between 0s and 0.1s. Is this just for simplicity?

8. Feb 24, 2013 #7

tms

I'd label them t, dt, dx, x, dv, v, and a.
    Sweeping the dust under the rug is not a long-term solution.
    I was assuming it started out at t = 0 with x = 0 and v = 0. Or you could leave out the t = 0 point, if the assumption worries you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted