1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average acceleration from average velocity?

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle travels from point A to point B following a semicircular path (a half-circle) of radius 5 m, and it travels at a constant speed of 1 m/s. Find the average acceleration of the particle.

2. Relevant equations

Average acceleration = change in velocity/ change in time

Total time = distance / speed

3. The attempt at a solution

I already know the answer, and I understand why it's true:

v0 = 1 m/s
    vf = -1 m/s

total time = (5 pi m) / (1 m/s) = 5pi seconds

Avg acceleration = (2 / (5pi) ) m/s^2

My question is: Is the average acceleration ever equal to the (average velocity/ time) ? In this case, I know it's not because:

Avg velocity = displacement / time = 10 m / 5pi sec = (2/ pi) m/s

And, if I divided by the time, I would get a factor of pi^2 in the denominator, which is not in my original answer.

I would really appreciate any help sorting this out! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Consider a 1-dimensional motion, ##v(t)=v_0 + at## with constant a, from t=0 to T. The average acceleration is a, the average velocity is v0+aT/2. As you are free to choose v0, you can get your equality.

Particles at rest have zero average velocity and acceleration, they are a special case of my example for a=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted