Acceleration of a Hot Air Balloon

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of acceleration for a rising hot-air balloon with a given ratio of air density inside and outside the balloon. The density of air outside is 1.2 kg/m^3 and the pressure outside is 101.3 kPa. To solve this, we can use the equation P+1/2pv^2+pgy = P+1/2pv^2+pgy and the relationships between density, pressure, force, and area.
Shepherd7

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of a rising hot-air balloon if the ratio of the air density outside the balloon to that inside is 1.25? Neglect the mass of the balloon fabric, the basket and it contents.

I don't know how to do a rho so "p" will be rho for density and P will be for pressure
o = outside of balloon
i=inside of balloon

po = 1.25pi
po (of air) = 1.2 kg/m^3
Po = 1atm = 101.3 kPa

Homework Equations

P+1/2pv^2+pgy = P+1/2pv^2+pgy
p = m/v
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck at the beginning of this problem. I can't seem to find any way to link density and acceleration (without time and a distance or and area). Any suggestions? Also are my assumptions about Po and po right? Seeing at I'm unsure of the elevation/air temp I can't be sure. Also are there other assumptions I should be making? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
actually it is easier to draw the force diagram first :)

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and equations that are relevant to the scenario. In this case, the key variables are the air density inside and outside the balloon, and the acceleration of the balloon.

To find the acceleration, we can use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force acting on the balloon, m is the mass of the balloon, and a is the acceleration. In this case, we can neglect the mass of the balloon fabric, basket, and contents, so the only force acting on the balloon is the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of the displaced air. We can express this as:

F = mair * g

Where mair is the mass of the air displaced by the balloon and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

To find the mass of the air, we can use the equation p=m/v, where p is the density and m and v are the mass and volume of the air, respectively. We know that the density of the air outside the balloon (po) is 1.25 times the density inside the balloon (pi), so we can express this as:

mair = (po/pi) * v

Substituting this into our previous equation for the net force, we get:

F = (po/pi) * v * g

To find the acceleration, we divide both sides of the equation by the mass of the balloon (which we can still neglect):

a = (po/pi) * g

Now we have an equation that relates the acceleration of the balloon to the density ratio (po/pi) and the acceleration due to gravity. We also know that the density outside the balloon (po) is 1.2 kg/m^3. Assuming that the density inside the balloon (pi) is equal to the density of air at sea level (1.2 kg/m^3), we can use this value to find the density ratio:

po/pi = 1.25

Substituting this into our equation for acceleration, we get:

a = (1.25) * 9.8 m/s^2 = 12.25 m/s^2

Therefore, the magnitude of the acceleration of the rising hot-air balloon is 12.25 m/s^2.

1. What causes a hot air balloon to accelerate?

The acceleration of a hot air balloon is caused by the difference in density between the hot air inside the balloon and the cooler air outside. The hot air is less dense, causing it to rise and creating lift, which accelerates the balloon upwards.

2. How does the temperature of the air affect the acceleration of a hot air balloon?

The temperature of the air plays a crucial role in the acceleration of a hot air balloon. As the air inside the balloon is heated, it becomes less dense and rises, providing lift and causing the balloon to accelerate upwards. The hotter the air, the faster the acceleration of the balloon.

3. Can the weight of the hot air balloon affect its acceleration?

Yes, the weight of the hot air balloon can affect its acceleration. The heavier the balloon, the more hot air is needed to create enough lift to overcome the weight and accelerate the balloon upwards. This is why hot air balloons are typically made from lightweight materials.

4. How does air pressure impact the acceleration of a hot air balloon?

The air pressure also plays a role in the acceleration of a hot air balloon. As the hot air inside the balloon expands, it creates a higher pressure than the cooler air outside. This difference in pressure causes the balloon to accelerate upwards, as the higher pressure air pushes against the lower pressure air.

5. Is there a limit to how fast a hot air balloon can accelerate?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a hot air balloon can accelerate. The acceleration of a hot air balloon is dependent on the amount of heat and lift generated by the hot air inside the balloon. If there is not enough heat or lift, the balloon will not accelerate as quickly. Additionally, air resistance and other external factors can also limit the acceleration of a hot air balloon.