Acceleration of a wedge: What forces act on the wedge?

  • Thread starter Thread starter teodora
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
teodora
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
The problem text and picture are in the appendix. I am not sure whether all the forces that I drew in are actually contributing to the wedge's motion. I read somewhere that each rope segment that touches the pulley exerts a force of that pulley in the direction of the applied force (even when pulley is ideal and all frictions are neglected). I'm also skeptical whether the horizontal component of tension (F) contributes to the wedges motion. I am only sure for normal force
Relevant Equations
Normal force on the block: N=ma*sinα - mg*cosα
for wedge I just take the opposite signs
Forces on the wedge would then be: Ma=F+Fcosα+Nsinα
1758201709918.webp

1758201734268.webp
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way to think of it is to include the portion of the rope in contact with the pulley as being part of the wedge+pulley system. That way, you can take the forces, both magnitude F but at different angles, from the straight segments of the rope as being external forces on that system.
 
Thanks. That would make my solution correct I guess? (except for the a in the denominator, I wrote it there by accident)
 
teodora said:
Thanks. That would make my solution correct I guess? (except for the a in the denominator, I wrote it there by accident)
No.
You have confused yourself by drawing the forces on the wedge and the block in the same diagram. Draw two separate FBDs.
 
It is interesting to write the Lagrange equations and especially to calculate the generalized forces.
 
Last edited: