1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acceleration of electron in between charged plates

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1
    dear.if the x-component and y-component of velocity is given i.e Vx &Vy.and E (electric field) is also given. then what equation should i use to find acceleration of the electron.
    i only know about E=F/e(relation of electric field and force)
    F=ma.if i want to find the "acceleration" if Vx ,Vy and E is given??
    anyone like to answer???

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2009 #2
    Ok so if you just want to find the acceleration you only need E and the mass of the electron, which you can find on any physics text book, this is what google says. Mass of electron=9.10938188 × 10-31 kilograms. So now all you have to do is multiply E times the charge of an electron and you will get the Force and then use F=ma with the mass of the electron to find the 'a' acceleration. Now if the field is exactly on the X axis or the Y axis you will have to find out how much of the Force is in each direction using trigonometry. If it is perpendicular/parallel to either one then just do it normally

Sincerely,
    FoxCommander

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3
    you are rite dear... but if the X and Y component of velocity is given i think there must be role of this in acceleration... wht you say dear???

5. Dec 11, 2009 #4

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, unless there is a magnetic field, the force is independent of the charge's velocity.

6. Dec 11, 2009 #5
    But the acceleration depends upon the mass, and the mass increases with velocity per special relativity. I computed this problem in the mid 80's, so maybe I can search for my solution this weekend.

As v increases, m increases, which influences a. The acceleration is not constant when v starts to exceed 10% of c. That is what I remember anyway. Does this help?

Claude

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  7. Dec 11, 2009 #6
    um ya that is true but only when you start to approach c. a car traveling at 1000 m/s weighs the same as a car going 0 m/s but it starts to chang when it gets closer to c because the object cannot go past c so all the energy goes into making it heavier, or making it appear as if to have more mass. In all my physics problems I have never used the mass of the electron as changing, unless you are doing really high energy plates from which you could reach 99% of c or something close to that, it really shouldnt matter. Electrons are so tiny anyways that the fluxuation of its mass would be almost insignifigant i believe

Sincerely,
    FoxCommander

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook