Acceleration of elevator and force in cable

In summary: So now we know the force required to lift the elevator, and we can find the weight of the elevator by multiplying that number by 1000.In summary, the elevator has a mass of 500kg and a counterweight of 134kg. The elevator is going down and the counterweight is pulling it upwards, with a force of 1.314kN and 1.2 kN, respectively.
Wilson123

Homework Statement

upload_2015-12-17_20-25-21.png

Mass of elevator = 500kg
Counterweight = 134kg
Force in cable C1 is 1.2kn

Determine the acceleration of the elevator and the force in cable C2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a = f / m

a = (C2 - C1) / m2

a = ((m2 * g) - C1) / m2

a = ((134 * 9.81) - 1200) / 134 = 0.86m/s2

Not sure if I need to be taking the mass of the elevator into account somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring the elevator and motor for the moment, draw a free body diagram for the 134 kg counterweight alone. What forces are acting on it? Which ones do you know? What can you conclude about the motion of the counterweight?

gneill said:
Ignoring the elevator and motor for the moment, draw a free body diagram for the 134 kg counterweight alone. What forces are acting on it? Which ones do you know? What can you conclude about the motion of the counterweight?

The counterweight has a force of 1.314kN acting downwards and 1.2 kN acting upwards. Therefore the counterweight is going down and pulling the elevator upwards?

gneill said:
That appears to be what OP has done already. That takes care of the motion of the counterweight.

The next step would be to see what that implies about the motion of the elevator.

jbriggs444 said:
That appears to be what OP has done already. That takes care of the motion of the counterweight.
I saw the C2 in the acceleration equation (second line) and had my doubts as to what the OP had in mind.

Likes jbriggs444
Wilson123 said:
The counterweight has a force of 1.314kN acting downwards and 1.2 kN acting upwards. Therefore the counterweight is going down and pulling the elevator upwards?
Yes. And what's more, you can find the acceleration of the counterweight, which you actually did when you replaced the "C2" term in your equation with the weight of the counterweight. I couldn't tell if this was a fortuitous mistake or intentional... ... which is why I asked you to concentrate on the counterweight alone.

I am confused now as to whether or not I have used C2 in the right application?

Wilson123 said:
I am confused now as to whether or not I have used C2 in the right application?
If you concentrate on the counterweight alone, C2 is nowhere in the picture. What appears in the FBD for the counterweight?

We'll get to C2 later when we look at the elevator.

Disregarding C2. The acceleration on the counterweight alone is:

F=ma
a = F/ m
a = (1314N - 1200N) / 134
a = 0.85 ??

That's right. Be sure to include units on results, and indicate the direction of the acceleration.

Now, what does that tell you about the direction of motion of the elevator car and its acceleration?

Units are in m/s^2 for acceleration? The elevator car will be moving upwards as the counterweight is moving down, I'm not sure what this suggests about the acceleration..

Wilson123 said:
Units are in m/s^2 for acceleration? The elevator car will be moving upwards as the counterweight is moving down, I'm not sure what this suggests about the acceleration..
Yes, units of acceleration are m/s2.

How are the counterweight and elevator car connected? Can they have different velocities or accelerations?

They are connected through the same pulley therefore will have the same velocity and acceleration. Which would mean the acceleration of the elevator is the same as the counter block... Is that the logic you were trying to make me realize?

Wilson123 said:
They are connected through the same pulley therefore will have the same velocity and acceleration. Which would mean the acceleration of the elevator is the same as the counter block... Is that the logic you were trying to make me realize?
It is indeed :smile:

So with that fact in mind, can you use the known forces operating on the elevator and its acceleration to find the "missing" force C2? Think Newton's 2nd law. An FBD for the isolated elevator car is in order.

Is it as simple as doing F=ma, f=500*0.85, giving me an answer of 0.425kN. Or do I need to take the 1.2 kN and weight of the elevator into account as well?

Wilson123 said:
Is it as simple as doing F=ma, f=500*0.85, giving me an answer of 0.425kN. Or do I need to take the 1.2 kN and weight of the elevator into account as well?
Yup. Hence the FBD for the elevator car. F = MA relates the mass, acceleration, and NET force acting.

(m1*a) + (m1*g) - C1 = C2
(500 * 0.85) + (500 * 9.81) - 1200 = 4.13kN

Is this correct taking all variables into account?

Looks good to me! :oldbiggrin:

Thanks for your help! Got there in the end...

So far i believe this is correct, however I'm
Wilson123 said:
Thanks for your help! Got there in the end...
Well Done! o_O

1. What is the relationship between acceleration of an elevator and the force in the cable?

The acceleration of an elevator is directly proportional to the force in the cable. This means that as the acceleration increases, the force in the cable also increases. This is because the elevator is pulled up by the tension in the cable, and the greater the acceleration, the more force is needed to overcome the weight of the elevator and its occupants.

2. How does the weight of the elevator and its occupants affect the acceleration and force?

The weight of the elevator and its occupants has a direct impact on both the acceleration and force in the cable. The greater the weight, the more force is needed to lift the elevator and the slower the acceleration will be. This is due to the fact that the weight of the elevator and its occupants is a resistance force that needs to be overcome by the force in the cable.

3. Does the height or length of the cable impact the acceleration of the elevator?

No, the height or length of the cable does not directly affect the acceleration of the elevator. The acceleration is determined by the force in the cable and the weight of the elevator and its occupants. However, a longer cable may result in a slower acceleration due to the extra weight and friction of the cable itself.

4. How does the mass of the elevator and its occupants affect the force in the cable?

The mass of the elevator and its occupants has a direct relationship with the force in the cable. The greater the mass, the more force is required to move the elevator and the higher the force in the cable will be. This is because the force in the cable needs to be strong enough to overcome the inertia and gravitational pull of the mass.

5. Can the acceleration and force of an elevator be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, friction in the pulley system, and the quality of the cable can impact the acceleration and force of an elevator. These factors can add additional resistance to the movement of the elevator and require more force to overcome, resulting in a slower acceleration and a higher force in the cable.