Acceleration of gravity , from a pendulum

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
th3plan
Messages
93
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A space explorer lands on a new plant, and he wants to determin the gravity on it. He makes a pendulum with a lengh of 800 mm and he observes it does 24 full swings in 1min and 20 seconds. What is the acceleration of gravity to be from this ?



The Attempt at a Solution



period
=2pie multiplied by square root of (lenth of the pendulum over gravity.

period= 80/24=3.333333. gravity = 2.8

Is this right what i did, any help would be great
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you are going to have to explain more exactly what you did.

You have determined that [itex]2\pi \sqrt{800/g}= 10/3[/itex]. Now, exactly how did you solve that equation for g? Also, what units is your answer in? I hate to disagree with Hootenanny but your answer makes no sense until you say what the units are.

(That's not true- I love to disagree with Hootenanny!)
 
In light of HoI's post, I'm assuming that your in S.I. units.
 
Last edited:
well i use equation T=2pi sqrt( L/g) =T and T is 10/3, so i solved for g, since i know the Lengh is 801m, then i got it to meters