Acceleration question BASIC PHYSICS HELP

In summary, the conversation is about acceleration and solving problems related to it, specifically calculating initial and final speeds and understanding the definition of acceleration. The questions involve using equations and potentially drawing diagrams to help with solving the problems. The suggested resource is "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick.
AbovenBeyond
Acceleration question BASIC PHYSICS HELP :(

Question1: A ball rolls with an acceleration of 20.5m/s^2. If it stops after 7s, what was its initial speed ? (Answer 3.5 m/s )

Question2: A wheelchair marathoner has a speed of 5m/s after rolling down a small hill in 1.5 s. If the wheelchair underwent a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2 during the descent , what was the marathoners speed at the top of the hill ? (Answer: 0.5m/s)

Question3:

What does it mean when it says in a problem: "at a 45* angle from due East and from due North" ?

Please, please help me figure those questions out with explanation.
Very much appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi,

When I took physics for the first time in high school many years ago I purchased The Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick. I don't think I would have done as well as I did without it. The cartoons were amusing and helped me to visualize the problems which made solving them that much easier!

I don't want to take away from your experience of solving the problems for yourself but I will suggest that they may require the use of multiple formulae:) If you need them, you can get them here: http://www.physics247.com/physics-tutorial/acceleration.shtml

Hope this helps!

Welcome to Physics Forums, AbovenBeyond and BrainGirl.

AbovenBeyond, what is the definition of acceleration? What equation is given along with that definition?

Hello,

Acceleration = (change in velocity) /( change in time)
20.5m/s^2= (change in Velocity) / 7s
=143.5m/s

AbovenBeyond said:
Question1: A ball rolls with an acceleration of 20.5m/s^2. If it stops after 7s, what was its initial speed ? (Answer 3.5 m/s )

AbovenBeyond said:
Hello,

Acceleration = (change in velocity) /( change in time)
20.5m/s^2= (change in Velocity) / 7s
=143.5m/s
You're correct, the answer 3.5 m/s is wrong.

Can someone please explain to me how to do this question, even better solve it and explain the steps.. I find it quite difficult.
Question2: A wheelchair marathoner has a speed of 5m/s after rolling down a small hill in 1.5 s. If the wheelchair underwent a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2 during the descent , what was the marathoners speed at the top of the hill ? (Answer: 0.5m/s)

HELP :((

Did you draw a diagram(label what happens where and when , velocityInital= ? , velocityFinal=? , Acceleration=? StartPosition =? , EndPosition=? That always helps me in addition to putting closely related equations next to the drawing.

Moderator's note:
  • Separate homework questions should be posted in a new thread.
  • Homework help requests should include relevant equations and an attempt at a solution.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

4. How does acceleration relate to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to an object's mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the greater the acceleration of an object, the greater the force acting on it.

5. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly its velocity is changing.