1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration vs Time Find Velocity

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graph shows acceleration versus time of a particle moving along the x axis. Its initial velocity is 8m/s at t=0. What is the particle's velopcity at t=4s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking of integrating y=-x+4 but I don't think I'm suppose to do that and also I don't know how to find +c.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

What does the area under an a-t graph represent?
  4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    Well integrating the acceleration gets you velocity, does it not?
  5. Sep 19, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't really want to integrate "y=-x+4"... with those variables.
    When you integrate the function with the appropriate physical variables, what is the physical interpretation of your "c" constant of integration?

You don't need to actually do the integral [with calculus]... you can do it geometrically using learningphysics' suggestion.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  6. Sep 19, 2007 #5
    Well the area under the chart is 8 at 4 seconds but that's the vi so how doe sthat come into play?
  7. Sep 19, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try your integration method, as well.
    Now, rethink your answer.
  8. Sep 19, 2007 #7
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the equation v=u+at can be used, since this is a linear graph??

you know, u(initial velocity), and the product (at) is 0. the initial velocity is equal to the final velocity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?