Acceration to Veocity and Position

• Thread starter jasonlfunk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Position
In summary, To develop a UAV helicopter, you need to use an IMU to measure X,Y,Z accelerations, X,Y,Z angles, and X,Y,Z angular rates. From these measurements, you can derive the current X,Y,Z velocity and X,Y,Z relative position. However, you will need to use integration and initial conditions to accurately predict future movements. If you need more guidance, you can start by searching for terms related to "kinematics" or "motion equations."
jasonlfunk
I am developing a UAV helicopter. I have an IMU that measure X,Y,Z accelerations, X,Y,Z angles and X,Y,Z angular rates. From these, I want to derive the current X,Y,Z velocity and X,Y,Z relative position. It's been awhile since physics class. :) I know that there is going to be some integration, but I'm not sure the words to search for the answers. Where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since acceleration is change in velocity and velocity is change in position, you would need some initial conditions (velocity and position) to predict the future from the acceleration.

I would first like to commend you on your project and your dedication to learning more about the physics involved in developing a UAV helicopter. The IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) you have mentioned will be a crucial component in determining the velocity and position of your helicopter.

To start, we can use the basic equation of motion, which states that velocity is the integral of acceleration over time. In this case, we will need to integrate the X, Y, and Z accelerations over time to obtain the X, Y, and Z velocities respectively.

Similarly, to determine the relative position, we will need to integrate the velocity over time. However, this will require an initial position to be set, as the integration process will keep adding the velocity values to the initial position.

It is important to note that these calculations will need to be done in a specific coordinate system, such as the NED (North-East-Down) system commonly used in aviation. This will ensure that the velocity and position values are accurate and can be used for navigation purposes.

In terms of specific keywords to search for, you can look into terms such as kinematics, inertial navigation, and integration techniques such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method. Additionally, there are various software tools and libraries available that can assist with these calculations.

I hope this information helps you in your development process. Remember to always double-check your calculations and make sure to account for any external factors that may affect the accuracy of your measurements. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the difference between acceleration, velocity, and position?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Velocity is the rate of change of position over time. Position is the location of an object in space.

2. How is acceleration related to velocity and position?

Acceleration is the derivative of velocity and the second derivative of position. This means that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of position.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Does acceleration always result in an increase in velocity?

No, acceleration can result in an increase or decrease in velocity depending on the direction of the acceleration and the initial velocity of the object.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's position?

Acceleration can affect an object's position by changing its velocity, which in turn changes its position over time. If the acceleration is constant, the object's position will change at a steady rate.