Accuracy of Gravity: -9.8m/s/s +- _______m/s/s

  • Thread starter Thread starter StephenDoty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Accuracy Gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
StephenDoty
Messages
261
Reaction score
0
I am working on a lab and I need to know the accuacy of gravity=-9.8m/s/s? So I need the +- blank after the -9.8m/s/s. -9.8m/s/s +- _________m/s/s

Thank you

Stephen Doty
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an accuracy error for gravity? Or do you just use the other number's accuracy error as the error of accuracy when doing f=mg. So the m has an accuracy is +-.02g so when doing f=mg what do I do for the accuracy error of gravity in the equation: total accuracy error= accuracy error of m/m + accuracy error of gravity/g.
 
Just use the accuracy level of things you actually measure. g is not constant, it depends on geology and altitude among other things. But those aren't likely to be variables in your lab experiment.
 
So for the accuracy equation for the f=mg : total accuracy= (.00002kg)/0.2704kg + 0/(9.8m/s/s)

From the equation: total accuracy = accuracy of m/m + accuracy of gravity/g

And for f=mg do I use (-9.8m/s/s) or (9.8m/s/s)