Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Activating Zinc Sulfide for Glowing

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    Hello. I am trying to activate crystals of Zinc Sulfide in order to get the crystal to glow in the dark. I do not need a long-term or powerful glow, I am merely investigating whether it is possible.

How can I prepare Zinc Sulfide crystals that have copper impurities as part of the crystal structure? See the Wikipedia article below for a description of why this is necessary for a glow. I have made Zinc sulfide through the combustion method, but I was considering instead trying the precipitation method. If I were to add Cu ions to the solution before precipitation, would this allow me to create the activated Zinc Sulfide Crystals?

This is an area of chemistry I know nothing about, so I really do appreciate any advice. Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_sulfide

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
    I dont know much about the subject, but you could try an electrolysis using a copper anode. That would put some of the ions necessary into the solution. (Theoretically anyway) Good luck with it! (are you detecting alphas?? :P )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?