Activation energy for KMnO4 and oxalic acid reaction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
eku_girl83
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Plea for help with kinetics lab -- Urgent

I am trying to find a value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. I have scoured every free chemistry database on the internet and come up with nothing. Does anyone know how I can calculate this value without using experimental data? Or is there a book that I can find in the library that would contain it? If anyone has access to information I don't, could you please look up this value for me?

This is extremely important.

Thanks!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Does this work?

http://colossus.chem.umass.edu/genchem/chem112/112_Experiment_4.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have to determine the E(act) from the lab ? Wouldn't getting it from outside be "cheating" ?
 
Hey, Gokul is right -- It would be cheating... If you are asked to do the experiment and find it this way, don't try anything else. This is strongly discouraged in PF community. The link I gave you again involves lab procedure, if I'm not wrong.
 
eku_girl83 said:
I am trying to find a value for the activation energy of the reaction involving potassium permanganate and oxalic acid. I have scoured every free chemistry database on the internet and come up with nothing. Does anyone know how I can calculate this value without using experimental data? Or is there a book that I can find in the library that would contain it? If anyone has access to information I don't, could you please look up this value for me?

This is extremely important.

Thanks!

Why do you want to find out the Activation energy without using experimental data? If you are indeed doing a lab, you should just use only the values available to you, since the teachers wouldn't expect you to be perfect...

As a matter of fact, there is a formula that relates activation energy to the rate of reaction, thus you can determine the activation energy just from your own data. Please explain yourself further before i can give you the formula. I am not sure if I am suppose to or not from the posts by Goku and Chem_tr