Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Active cell balancing with LTC3300-2

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone good day to all who will read this!

We have a project about active cell balancing that will be put inside an electric-car. We are planning to use LTC3300-2 IC that can perform charge transfer. However, our question is that, How to choose the right microcontroller for our project considering we are about to create 6cells in a stack, and it must be stackable. Also we want to ask for guidance in implementing the connection between the chosen microcontroller and LTC3300-2. And if we want to stack another LTC3300-2 two extend the capacity of the cell balancer, how can we do that? Any advice even a little bit will be much appreciated, Thanks and god bless everyone have a nice day!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Jun 26, 2016 #4
    thank you for answering, our plan for 1 stack is about 6cells = 24volts and we need 2 stacks so it will be about 48volts in total when we stack another 6cells. overall it will be 12cells. Thank you, much appreciated.

6. Jun 26, 2016 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i'd be talking through my hat if i claimed any expertise.
    Last one i used was a Domino-II by Micromint about fifteen tears ago. I chose it because we had 5 days to get a project going, including ordering the parts. The Domino you program in Basic so there was no learning curve to stumble up. The company was small enough then i got personal help from its founder.
    I used both its serial(RS232) and I2C communication ports, and a few bits of parallel I/O .

I recently bought an Arduino just to see what they're about. Its language i found harder to learn than Basic
    but it's compiled so runs many times faster.

I'd advise pick one that'll likely still be around twenty years from now. Your first one is hardest to learn.
    I;d probably look at Texas Instruments just because of who they are. And at Micromint because they're still growing and have a heritage of practicality..
    But i'm way back in the dust behind the young folks on this subject. Ask some hobbyists in your outfit.

Sorry cant do more

old jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted