Actuator on an accelerating body

In summary, the conversation discusses the power requirements of a linear actuator used to hold a box in place relative to a large body that is accelerating. The members question if the actuator consumes power even when there is no motion and how to calculate the power requirement in this scenario. It is suggested to use an actuator with specifications that allow it to be locked in a static position without consuming power.
arjunzv8
Hello all, new member here. Signed up cause I am stumped by a physics problem.

I am trying to size a linear actuator. Basically I have a large body that is accelerating at acceleration in x direction. I have a linear actuator aligned in the x direction that is rigidly attached to the large body on one end and the other end is touching a box. The actuator has to hold the box (mass m) in place relative to the large body.

If the large body is accelerating at "a" till it reaches velocity "v", what is the power requirement of the actuator. For simplicity, I am ignoring air drag, actuator efficiency etc.

Attached image shows the setup.

Is this a non-inertial frame?
Is the actuator consuming power even if there is no motion (relative between actuator and box) because of the inertia of the box?
Is it correct if I calculate power requirement as shown below?
F=ma
Distance d=0.5*a*t^2
Time t=v/a
Power P=F*d/t

Since I am ignoring air drag, power is consumed only during acceleration correct?

Attachments

• actuator.jpg
    actuator.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
arjunzv8 said:
I am ignoring air drag, actuator efficiency etc...Is the actuator consuming power even if there is no motion (relative between actuator and box) because of the inertia of the box?
If you ignore actuator efficiency, then no power is required. You could replace the actuator with a rigid attachment which also consumes no power.

Likes arjunzv8
I am still confused by this. Unlike a rigid attachment, an actuator would still consume power to remain in position as long as there is a load (here that is F=ma during the acceleration). So how would I then calculate this power requirement.

arjunzv8 said:
So how would I then calculate this power requirement.
From the technical specifications of the actuator. Ideally you would use one, that can be locked in a static position without power consumption.

Likes arjunzv8

1. What is an actuator on an accelerating body?

An actuator on an accelerating body is a mechanism or device used to control or move parts of a body that is in motion. It is designed to respond to the changes in acceleration and adjust accordingly to maintain stability and control.

2. How does an actuator work on an accelerating body?

An actuator works by converting energy, such as electrical or hydraulic, into mechanical movement. It receives signals from sensors that detect changes in acceleration and then activates to move the necessary parts of the body to maintain balance and control.

3. What types of actuators are commonly used on accelerating bodies?

The most commonly used actuators on accelerating bodies are electromechanical actuators, hydraulic actuators, and pneumatic actuators. Each type has its own advantages, depending on the specific application and requirements.

4. How important is the actuator in the overall performance of an accelerating body?

The actuator plays a crucial role in the overall performance of an accelerating body. It is responsible for maintaining stability, controlling movement, and ensuring the safety and efficiency of the body's motion. Without a reliable actuator, the body may not be able to function effectively.

5. Can an actuator on an accelerating body be replaced or upgraded?

Yes, actuators on accelerating bodies can be replaced or upgraded if necessary. However, it is crucial to ensure that the new actuator is compatible with the body and meets the required specifications. Upgrading the actuator can also improve the overall performance and efficiency of the body.