Adding normal distribution - z-scores

In summary, the question is whether it is mathematically allowed to add z-scores from different normal distributions together. The answer is no, as the z-scores are based on a standard normal distribution and adding them from different distributions would result in a different distribution. There are no internet references on this specific topic, but it is generally not considered a valid mathematical operation.
blumfeld0
Hi -

I have a quick question. I understand that the sum of two normal distributions is a normal distribution. Now let's say I have the z-score from one normal distribution and the z-score of another set of data that is also normally distributed and a third and a fourth etc.

I just want to know if it is mathematically allowed to ADD the z-scores together? I do not care too much about the probability (p-value). I would like to know if it is allowed and are there any internet references on this topic?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
blumfeld0 said:
I just want to know if it is mathematically allowed to ADD the z-scores together?

You didn't specify what you meant by "mathematically allowed", but I can't think of any reasonable interpretation of those words where the answer would be "yes". So let's say the answer is "no".

If you have a specific question, perhaps you should give a very specific example to explain what you mean.

blumfeld0 said:
Hi -

I have a quick question. I understand that the sum of two normal distributions is a normal distribution. Now let's say I have the z-score from one normal distribution and the z-score of another set of data that is also normally distributed and a third and a fourth etc.

I just want to know if it is mathematically allowed to ADD the z-scores together? I do not care too much about the probability (p-value). I would like to know if it is allowed and are there any internet references on this topic?

Thank you very much.

One thing about the z-scores is that we assume this relates to a N(0,1) distribution. If you different distributions corresponding to N(0,1) together, you end up getting something relating to N(0,m) where m is the number of distributions and because of this, you are no longer dealing with something that a z-score should correspond to.

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a bell curve, is a probability distribution that is symmetric around the mean. It is commonly used to represent data that is normally distributed, such as height or weight.

What are z-scores?

Z-scores, also known as standard scores, are a way of standardizing data by converting it to a standard normal distribution with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. This allows for easy comparison of data points from different normal distributions.

How do you add two normal distributions?

To add two normal distributions, you must first convert them to z-scores. Then, you can add the z-scores together and convert the result back to a normal distribution. This is known as the sum of independent normal random variables.

What is the formula for adding normal distributions?

The formula for adding normal distributions is: z = (z1 + z2) / √2, where z1 and z2 are the z-scores of the two normal distributions being added.

Why is adding normal distributions useful?

Adding normal distributions allows for the combination of data from multiple sources to create a more accurate and comprehensive representation. It is commonly used in statistics, such as in hypothesis testing and confidence intervals.