Adding scientific notation question =)

You need to round to the correct number of sig figs, which is 1.26x10^5.In summary, when adding (9.8x10^3s)+(9.9x10^4s)+(0.017x10^6s), the correct answer is 1.26x10^5, rounded to the appropriate number of significant figures.
dolpho

Homework Statement

Add (9.8x10^3s)+(9.9x10^4s)+(0.017x10^6s)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have entered 125800, as well as 1.26x10^5 but the website marked both of those wrong. I've done this problem every way you could do it I think and it comes out to the same answer but the program won't accept it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume this has to do with significant digits a.k.a significant figures.

(9.8x103s) + (9.9x104s) + (0.017x106s) = (0.98x104s) + (9.9x104s) + (1.7x104s)

SammyS said:
I presume this has to do with significant digits a.k.a significant figures.

(9.8x103s) + (9.9x104s) + (0.017x106s) = (0.98x104s) + (9.9x104s) + (1.7x104s)

So I worked out your problem also and it gave me 125800 and it just says add, but I'm guessing it doesn't want the answer but what you gave instead. Ugh I hate mastering physics... :(

dolpho said:
Add (9.8x10^3s)+(9.9x10^4s)+(0.017x10^6s)

I have entered 125800, as well as 1.26x10^5

You were already pointed to significant figures. Both numbers you have tried have too many.

I understand your frustration with the program not accepting your answer. However, it is important to note that in scientific notation, we only add or subtract the numbers in front of the exponential term, not the exponential terms themselves. Therefore, the correct answer would be 1.26x10^5s. It is possible that the program is looking for a specific format for the answer, such as using scientific notation with a certain number of significant figures. I suggest double checking the instructions or reaching out to the program administrator for clarification. Keep up the good work with your calculations!

What is scientific notation?

Scientific notation is a way of writing very large or very small numbers using powers of 10. It is often used in scientific and mathematical calculations to make numbers more manageable.

How do you add numbers in scientific notation?

To add numbers in scientific notation, you must first make sure that they have the same exponent. Then, simply add the coefficients and keep the exponent the same.

Can you add numbers in scientific notation if they have different exponents?

Yes, you can add numbers in scientific notation with different exponents. To do so, you must first convert one of the numbers so that it has the same exponent as the other number. Then, you can add the coefficients and keep the exponent the same.

What is the purpose of using scientific notation?

The purpose of using scientific notation is to make very large or very small numbers easier to work with. It also allows for more precise calculations and helps to avoid writing out long strings of zeros.

Are there any rules for adding numbers in scientific notation?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when adding numbers in scientific notation. The exponents must be the same, the coefficients must be added using normal addition, and the final answer should be in scientific notation form.