1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific notation question - backscatter or backscattering angle?

  1. Nov 1, 2013 #1
    hi all,

    I got a question about the spelling difference on a particular case.

    I registered to address my problem to native English speakers(or people who can help me :)). Hopefully this is the right part of the forum.

    Currently i am writing my thesis in English(i am not a native English speaking person)

    My thesis deals with the research of electron backscattering.

    Therefore is use the term "backscatter probability", "backscatter angle" and "backscatter energy" quite often.

    What's the correct writing - backscatter angle or backscattering angle?

    I think the difference between backscatter and backscattered is known to me

    best regards
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Backscatter is a noun. It is a thing that happens

    Backscattered is an adjective. It is a characteristic of something.


    Since there was a distinct backscatter, it would be correct to say they were backscattered electrons
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook