Adding variables with same exponents

In summary, adding variables with the same exponents involves combining terms that have the same variable raised to the same power, also known as "like terms." This process is important because it simplifies expressions and makes them easier to solve, while also preventing confusion and errors. To add variables with the same exponents, simply add the coefficients of the like terms while keeping the variable and exponent the same. It is not possible to add variables with different exponents, as terms must have the same variables and exponents to be combined. If there are multiple variables with the same exponent, they can still be combined as long as they have the same variables and exponents. However, if the variables or exponents are different, they cannot be combined and
rcmango

Homework Statement

solve.

.2y^3 + .6y^3 - .5y^3

I believe the answer to be .3y^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got the answer to be .8y^3 - .5y^3

= .3y^3

I think this is correct, I'm not sure, please let me know if I finished this correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rcmango! :smile:
(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
rcmango said:
.2y^3 + .6y^3 - .5y^3

I believe the answer to be .3y^3

yes, that's fine :smile:

.2y3 + .6y3 - .5y3

= (.2 + .6 - .5)y3 = .3y3 (distributive law)

Thanks.

What does it mean to add variables with the same exponents?

When adding variables with the same exponents, you are combining terms that have the same variable raised to the same power. This is also known as "like terms."

Why is it important to combine like terms when adding variables with the same exponents?

Combining like terms is important because it simplifies an expression and makes it easier to solve. It also helps to avoid confusion and errors when working with more complex equations.

How do you add variables with the same exponents?

To add variables with the same exponents, simply add the coefficients of the terms with the same variables and exponents. The variable and exponent will remain the same in the simplified expression.

Can you add variables with different exponents?

No, you cannot add variables with different exponents. In order to add terms, they must have the same variable raised to the same power. If the exponents are different, the terms are not considered like terms and cannot be combined.

What happens if there are multiple variables with the same exponent?

If there are multiple variables with the same exponent, you can still combine them if they have the same variables and exponents. For example, 2x^2 and 3x^2 can be added to get 5x^2. However, if the variables or exponents are different, they cannot be combined and the expression remains in its original form.