1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Remainder Theorem to find remainder

1. Jan 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (y4 - 5y2 + 2y - 15) / (3y - √(2))
    The answer says (2√(2)/3)-(1301/81)
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/t...DKJeR9_wevbfnEStla1ntJRTakXqP8dG=w449-h311-no

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using synthetic division
    3y - √(2) = 0
    3y = √(2)
    y = √(2)/3
    View attachment 111547

My final answer that I keep getting is (2√(2)/3)-21. I can't seem to get (2√(2)/3)-(1301/81). I was just wondering if someone could show me where I'm going wrong? Sorry writing this out was very difficult so I hope you can still understand it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I don't actually can follow your calculations. If I compare my calculation with your result, then I think you simply lost some denominators.
    I get ##\frac{4}{81}-\frac{10}{9}-15+\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}## whereas you seem to have added only the nominators ##4-10-15+\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}##.

I once gave an example on PF here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...r-a-polynomial-over-z-z3.889140/#post-5595083

Maybe it helps.

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3
    upload_2017-1-13_19-24-50.png Sorry, I should have just posted this to begin with.

5. Jan 13, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your long-division process is all wrong. Let ##p(y) = y^4 - 5y^2 + 2y - 15## and ##d(y) = 3y - \sqrt{2}##. You want to find a "quotient" ##q(y)## and a number ##r## (the "remainder") that give you ##p(y) = q(y) d(y) + r.## The question is asking you to find ##r##.

Step 1: see how many times the leading term of ##d(y)## will go into the leading term of ##p(y)##; that is the number of times ##3y## goes into ##y^4##. The answer in this case is ##y^4/(3y) = (1/3)y^3##, so that is the first term in your quotient ##q(y)##. Now we have
    $$ p(y) - \frac{1}{3} y^3 d(y) = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{3} y^3 -5 y^2 + 2y - 15 \equiv p_1(y).$$

However, all that would be doing it the hard way. The easy way would be to go ahead and use the "remainder theorem".

Step 2: see how many times the leading term of ##d(y)## goes into the leading term of ##p_1(y)##. The answer is ##(\sqrt{2}/3)/(3 y) = (\sqrt{2}/9) y^2##, so that is the next term in your quotient ##q(y)##. We have
    $$p_2(y) \equiv p_1(y) - \frac{\sqrt{2}}{9} y^2 d(y) = -\frac{43}{9} y^2 + 2y - 15.$$

So, up to now we have
    $$p(y) = \left( \frac{1}{3} y^3 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{9} y^2 \right) d(y) + p_2(y).$$

Keep going like that; the next term in the quotient ##q(y)## will be the number of times the leading term of ##d(y)## goes into the leading term of ##p_2(y)##, so is the number of times ##3y## goes into ##-(43/9) y^2##, etc., etc.

The remainder will be what you have left when the process comes to an end.

However, all that would be doing it the hard way; I included the material just because you attempted to do it, but did it all wrong. The easy way would be to just use the so-called "remainder theorem".

6. Jan 14, 2017 #5
    I was using synthetic division which worked on every other question but I'll try it the way you're suggesting it.

7. Jan 14, 2017 #6
    I got the same result as the answer. Thanks for your help!

8. Jan 14, 2017 #7
    It looks to me like you simply made a couple multiplication errors when working with fractions. I worked the problem with synthetic division and got the right answer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted