1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of exponentials, and relationship between variables.

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is, strictly speaking, not a homework question. I have already solved this, but I think that there is a much better method to solve it.

In the equation below, what relationship must w and q satisfy? If the question is not clear, please read the bottom of the post.

2. Relevant equations
    Exp[-i*q*t]+Exp[-i*w*t]=-2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I turned everything into cosines and sines, and used the trigonometric sum to product formulas.

In case the question isn't clear, the answer is w/q= (2m-1)/(2n-1), where m and n are positive integers and not equal to each other.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Animastryfe! :smile:

Assuming q and w are real numbers, the two exponentials each correspond to a vector with length 1 and angle -qt respectively -wt.
    This is the polar coordinate representation of a complex number.

To get them to have sum -2, both the exponentials must come out as -1.
    This means that -qt = pi mod 2pi and that -wt = pi mod 2pi.
    Divide them on each other and you get the result you have.

However, if q and w can be imaginary as well, you get a lot more solutions! :wink:

4. Aug 2, 2011 #3
    Thank you. I should think more geometrically.

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please note that, in general, for two complex numbers to add to -2, they do not have be each be -1. Here, however, each has magnitude 1 so in terms of a vector addition, we have a "triangle" with two sides of length 1 and the third of length 2. That, of course, is impossible except in the very special case that the "triangle" is really a straight line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook