Addition of exponentials, and relationship between variables.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve an equation involving two complex numbers with a sum of -2. The solution involves using the polar coordinate representation and finding the relationship between the two numbers. It is noted that there are more solutions if the numbers can be imaginary.
Animastryfe

Homework Statement

This is, strictly speaking, not a homework question. I have already solved this, but I think that there is a much better method to solve it.

In the equation below, what relationship must w and q satisfy? If the question is not clear, please read the bottom of the post.

Homework Equations

Exp[-i*q*t]+Exp[-i*w*t]=-2

The Attempt at a Solution

I turned everything into cosines and sines, and used the trigonometric sum to product formulas.

In case the question isn't clear, the answer is w/q= (2m-1)/(2n-1), where m and n are positive integers and not equal to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Animastryfe! :smile:

Assuming q and w are real numbers, the two exponentials each correspond to a vector with length 1 and angle -qt respectively -wt.
This is the polar coordinate representation of a complex number.

To get them to have sum -2, both the exponentials must come out as -1.
This means that -qt = pi mod 2pi and that -wt = pi mod 2pi.
Divide them on each other and you get the result you have.

However, if q and w can be imaginary as well, you get a lot more solutions! :wink:

Thank you. I should think more geometrically.

Please note that, in general, for two complex numbers to add to -2, they do not have be each be -1. Here, however, each has magnitude 1 so in terms of a vector addition, we have a "triangle" with two sides of length 1 and the third of length 2. That, of course, is impossible except in the very special case that the "triangle" is really a straight line.

1. What is the formula for adding exponentials?

The formula for adding exponentials is: ab + ac = ab+c

2. How do you simplify an expression with multiple exponentials?

To simplify an expression with multiple exponentials, you can use the properties of exponents, such as the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. These rules allow you to combine like terms and simplify the expression into one term with a single exponential.

3. What is the relationship between variables in an exponential equation?

The relationship between variables in an exponential equation is exponential growth or decay. This means that as one variable increases, the other variable will also increase or decrease at a constant rate determined by the exponential value.

4. How can you solve for a variable in an exponential equation?

To solve for a variable in an exponential equation, you can use logarithms. By taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation, you can isolate the variable and solve for its value.

5. What is the significance of the base in an exponential equation?

The base in an exponential equation represents the factor by which the variable increases or decreases. It is also the number that is raised to the power of the exponent. Depending on the value of the base, the exponential equation will exhibit either growth or decay.