1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Additive Exponential Terms

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have developed an equations for calculating some pollutant concentration as a function of x and y. I'm trying to simplify the problem so that I can write the equation for wp as a function of x. All variables except x and wp are known.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]c(x,y=w_{p})=0.01 \cdot c_{peak} = c_{peak} \cdot \left[ exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x}\right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{1} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x} \right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{2} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x} \right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{3} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x} \right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{4} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x}\right) \right][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically, all I've gotten to simplify is that cpeak cancels such that:

[itex] 0.01 = \left[ exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x}\right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{1} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x} \right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{2} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x} \right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{3} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x} \right) + exp \left( -\frac{ u \left( w_{p} - y_{4} \right)^{2}}{ 4 E_{y}x}\right) \right][/itex]

Is there a way of simplifying the exponential terms so that I can take the natural log of the right side of the equation and solve for wp as a function of x?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

WOW!

Logs aren't of much help in working with sums.

The only slight help I can see is that all the terms on the right have a common factor of [itex]\displaystyle\ \exp\left(\frac{-u(w_p)^2}{4E_y\,x}\right)\ . [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted